Answered

Sonos won't search Spotify

Sonos App has stopped searchin Spotify.  Both Sonos and Spotify are “working” -- i can play spotify content from within Sonos -- but I cannot seach from within Sonos.  I have (soft) repooted the speakers, rebooted my phone and removed and then readded the service,  None worked.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 July 2023, 17:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Especially since the issue is on Spotify’s side, not Sonos’

Corry P, using quotes for artist search works! Thank you so much!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @nbpete 

The issue reported above came back. Until it is resolved again, you should be able to get results from Spotify in your searches by placing your search term “within quotes”.

I hope this helps.

Yes, this works. But this is stupid. A stupid way to search on Spotify & Sonos. How in the hell would someone know to use “…” to search Spotify on Sonos? Who?

Userlevel 1

I’m not the most technical person, but it’s not clear to me how this is a Spotify issue as opposed to a Sonos issue.  I don’t need to use quotes when searching for artists on the Spotify app, only when I search Spotify through the Sonos app.

Because when you search using the Spotify app, your request is being fed to Spotify’s server x. When you search using the Sonos controller, the request is being sent to server y, which has the Sonos SMAPI code on it, and reacts slightly differently. 

Searching with quotes is counterproductive. I have clients. Ow that are totally frustrated and mad. Changes made without any announcement is never a good idea. Especially when it breaks something. 

Whats ETA on fix for this? Or is Spotify being difficult and uncooperative?

Ask Spotify.  The problem lies with them, not Sonos.

As a guess, and I’ve said this elsewhere, Spotify didn’t promote this ‘fix’ to all branches, so when they rolled out some other ‘fix’, it stomped on their previous fix. If that turns out to be a true statement, I wouldn’t think it would be too long before it gets reimplemented, and someone has their hands slapped for not properly promoting it to all branches once it was approved. 

But I don’t work for Spotify, this is just based on previous branch management experiences with software. 

And most engineers don’t ‘work’ on weekends. 

Ask Spotify.  The problem lies with them, not Sonos.

Yes I would agree that the issue lies with Spotify. Makes Sonos look bad though and clients think its a Sonos issue. Anyone successful in reaching out to Spotify? Any ideas are helpful, Thanks

What’s going on Sonos -

if your product cannot connect with Spotify - then you have to question its value?

just saying….

rebooted, reinstalled, spotify search still not working

sonos….. wtf.  the search function has always been crap.  the amazon link is terrible, 

this has turned me to spotify…. and now this?   making me want to switch back to a hardline receiver and speaker setup.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Gosh... quotation marks.... 😊

As I mentioned to Sonos before, I don't understand why Sonos NEVER communicates with me directly about problems. It would be so easy to communicate through the app’s message interface, rather than always using it for ads. They could say: 'Dear Sonos user, we've discovered that the artist search is not working properly when using Spotify in the Sonos app. For now, please use a workaround: include quotation marks around the artist name. We are actively working on a solution and apologize for the inconvenience.'

Instead, whenever there are problems, Sonos users are forced to search on Google and locate some thread—like this one. It would be SO easy for Sonos to provide this basic PROACTIVE customer service.

This issue just started for me. Completely agree Kos. 

I’m not the most technical person, but it’s not clear to me how this is a Spotify issue as opposed to a Sonos issue.  I don’t need to use quotes when searching for artists on the Spotify app, only when I search Spotify through the Sonos app.

The problem is that Spotify changed or introduced  a bug in their API.  I can say from experience that one of the biggest challenges integrating with third party systems via and API is when the third party breaks something or changes something without notice to the programmers using the API.  Sonos can’t control what Spotify does, they rely on them to keep their APIs functioning (or at least communicating forthcoming changes to people using their API).

This issue has just started for me (but haven’t used SONOS for a week). Using quotes works on the artist search but having to find this information via Google is pretty poor.