Answered

Sonos won't play in same room as Android phone

• 21 November 2022
  • 1 reply

I use an Android Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.  I’ve noticed that if I pull up the Sonos app and start playing music, it will play on all my other Sonos speakers (12 in all) *except* the one that’s closest to my phone.  If I’m in my office, music will play everywhere except my office.  If I’m in my bathroom, music will play everywhere except my bathroom.  It takes up to a minute for the close-proximity speaker to kick in and start playing, and if I crank up the volume I can hear the music everywhere else in the house.  Am I the only one having this problem?  The music source is a central Plex server on my home network, not my phone.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 November 2022, 10:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @analogkid01 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That is some very strange behaviour - I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone describe it before!

My immediate assumption would be that this has something to do with your network topology, but without full details and several diagnostics I wouldn’t want to hazard a guess as to what exactly is going on.

There are definitely a few things you can try, however:

• Remove power from your Sonos devices and your router. Wait 1 minute. Plug your router back in and wait for WiFi to return before turning on your Sonos devices. If you have any Sonos devices ethernet-wired to the network, turn these on first and wait for solid, white lights before turning on the rest.
  • If you don’t have any Sonos devices ethernet-wired, please try connecting one, centrally-located speaker to ethernet - but keep it at least 1m away from the router or any access points. Wait about 1 minute, then start testing. This will put the system on SonosNet.
  • If you do have ethernet-wired Sonos devices, please test with them disconnected from ethernet and after waiting a minute. This will put the entire system on WiFi.

If none of these steps improve matters, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.