Skip to main content
Question

sonos won't play certain pocketcast podcasts,specifically "Freshair" and "Commonwealth Club of CA" others play ok

• 6 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I am using S1 due to equipment limitations that preclude an upgrade.  When i try to play either of these two podcasts, and certain others, I get the response “cannot play the podcast xxxxx, the connection to pocketcasts was lost”. But he fact is, the connection is not lost.  When i select other podcasts on Pocketcast, they play just fine.  Sonos tech support gave me the standard blurb - Unsubscribe and then resubscribe.  This of course doesn’t work.  Sonos then states that its something on pocketcasts end, and they can be of no further assistance.  I must take up the problem with Pocketcasts.   I’ve refused to do the digital run around for 8 hrs ., only to find that i’ve wasted 8 hrs of my life;  Mainly for the fact that I have a real life with lots of other obligations, i just want to listen to the podcast!!  Has anyone else had this problem?

My overall impression with Sonos is that it is very flimsy platform.  It seems to actively seek out reasons to not do what you ask of it.  Although it has some very seductive features, I find it to be big on promises and small on delivery.  I would not recommend it to anyone in its current form, although it certainly has the potential to be spectacular.  Maybe AI to the rescue ;)

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You are using S1, some streams do not work due to the certificate or cypher types in use on some streams. S1 isn’t getting any updates for those.

The “flimsy platform” is because you are still using S1. It’s like complaining about Windows Vista.

Normally I would suggest using S2, but that has its own issues due to the janky mobile app.

My first question would be why isn’t S1 getting updates to adjust and/or accomodate new certificates or cypher types.  Isn’t the whole purpose of periodic software updates in the first place? (i.e. improving usability/stability and to fixing these software issues).  

If Sono’s wants to be the apple of “Whole Home Sound” than it truly has to deliver in a way that convinces the consumer that they are getting a system that works like the marketing claims it does. 

My follow up question would be, why should I believe S2 is going to be the answer to my prayers?

I’m by no means convinced that scrapping half of my sonos system and moving to S2 will fix any of these issues.  

(….And just as an aside; what happens when the execs decide to stop supporting S2 and start rolling out S3)

When you sit down to listen to music or a podcast, only to find yourself in a digital wrestling match with an uncooperative platform, it does nothing other than frustrate a potentially loyal consumer and send them off to look elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My first question would be why isn’t S1 getting updates to adjust and/or accomodate new certificates or cypher types.  Isn’t the whole purpose of periodic software updates in the first place? (i.e. improving usability/stability and to fixing these software issues). 

My best guess is that they are using an old version of openssl that can’t handle the newer cert types/crypto.

S1 is frozen, set your expectations suitably.

My expectations are set “suitably” - it’s called deliver what you promise