Answered

Sonos Won't Connect To Music Folder on MacOS Ventura

• 25 March 2023
  • 5 replies

I have the Sonos Controller for Mac V 15.1.1 running on a MacBookPro M1 Max with Ventura V13.2.1.  I can not connect my music library on the laptop to Sonos. What I’ve done to set it up - In System Settings, I have “File Sharing” ON and in Privacy I have “Files and Folders” set to allow Sonos access. Under Sonos Manage/Music Library Settings/ , I select (+), select “Another Folder of Disk Connected To My Computer ”, select my Music folder,  get through all the setup questions, and then I get an error saying “Sonos was unable to add the music folder”.  I have restarted my laptop and Sonos multiple times between setup changes.  But still no connection.  Help!

icon

Best answer by BMurphy28 28 March 2023, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hmmm. Not at home, but I’m not sure it makes much difference, since I use an NAS, and not my Mac’s hard drive, so testing/looking may not be as useful as I’d hope. Nor do I have an M1 Max, just an M1. 

To my knowledge, because this is stored locally, it is using http to try to connect to the library. If it was a cloud drive, such as OneNote is, it would fail, if it were an NAS drive, it would require SMB v2 or v3. And based on your controller number, it’s S2, and not S1. 

Just to be sure, you probably want to go in to settings and make sure your drive is set to be ‘always on’ rather than allowing it to sleep.  I’m pretty sure all M1 Max machines use an SSD, but better safe than sorry, and it eliminates at least on potential issue. 

But beyond that, I think I’m stumped, and would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of trying the setup process, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +20

There is an issue with MacOS 13.2, basically for some users SMB file sharing just does not work. 13.3 “should” be released next week and will address the problem.

Yea, while I don’t disagree, my interpretation is that the files are locally stored, and not on an NAS using SMB. 

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, my files are locally stored.  The only way I was able to get this to work was as follows;

1. Logged in as “administrator”.
  2. Used Sonos to connect to the “Music” folder of the administrator
  3. Transferred all my files from my music folder to the administrator’s music fold.
  4. Logged out, restarted everything, and logged in as myself
  5. Now I can access the “Music” folder from Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Not sure if this relates but under Privacy > Full Disk Access there are two Sonos options listed there. One says Sonos, the other says SonosLibraryServer. Make sure you choose the SonosLibraryServer.

I could not get my Sonos Music folder to work on music files on my SD card until I did this. Same if you use a USB hard drive for your Sonos music folder