Sonos V16 Update Still Doesn’t Support Apple Music’s New Favorite Songs Playlist

• 15 February 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

V16 still doesn’t support playing the new “Favorite Songs” Apple Music service playlist. Although the Favorite Songs playlist still appears at the bottom of the Apple Music playlist list in the Sonos app, selecting it still generates the “No selections are available” error message.

9 replies

The music services themselves are responsiblie for implimenting features for their service.  Sonos provides an API, and the services use that.  In other words, if something is available for streaming service, but not through Sonos, it’s generally more effective to talk to the streaming service about it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

V16 still doesn’t support playing the new “Favorite Songs” Apple Music service playlist. Although the Favorite Songs playlist still appears at the bottom of the Apple Music playlist list in the Sonos app, selecting it still generates the “No selections are available” error message.

It doesn’t get any better with Sonos app updates unfortunately. S1 systems are basically the same as S2 with music service s  

The common thing IME that music services on Sonos share, is that they all have missing features from their native apps. 

U may want to try using AirPlay with the Apple Music app if you want to use the missing features from the app with your Sonos system. 

Badge

I like to play a music track on all of my Sonos speakers simultaneously. I live in a ranch style condo, and I found that doing it that way and being able to adjust each speaker’s volume separately (depending on the room where I’m sitting) provides the best ambiance. And I realize that using Apple’s Music app and AirPlaying a track to my Sonos speakers would be another way of doing it, but not all of my speakers are AirPlay 2 compatible. Plus, at least to my ears, the music fidelity provided by playing an Apple Music track using the Sonos app as the player is superior to what I hear when using Apple Music and AirPlay. 

And​​​​​​ as far as a Playlist (e.g., Apple’s new “ Favorite Songs”) being available using Apple’s Music app but not using the Sonos app, it definitely has NOT been more effective to speak with Apple about it. When I’ve called Apple support about the issue, they’ve told me to call Sonos. And when I’ve called Sonos support, they’ve told me to call Apple. I am so incredibly tired of all of the finger pointing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I like to play a music track on all of my Sonos speakers simultaneously. I live in a ranch style condo, and I found that doing it that way and being able to adjust each speaker’s volume separately (depending on the room where I’m sitting) provides the best ambiance. And I realize that using Apple’s Music app and AirPlaying a track to my Sonos speakers would be another way of doing it, but not all of my speakers are AirPlay 2 compatible. Plus, at least to my ears, the music fidelity provided by playing an Apple Music track using the Sonos app as the player is superior to what I hear when using Apple Music and AirPlay. 

And​​​​​​ as far as a Playlist (e.g., Apple’s new “ Favorite Songs”) being available using Apple’s Music app but not using the Sonos app, it definitely has NOT been more effective to speak with Apple about it. When I’ve called Apple support about the issue, they’ve told me to call Sonos. And when I’ve called Sonos support, they’ve told me to call Apple. I am so incredibly tired of all of the finger pointing.

My understanding is you can group non airplay with the airplay speaker and it will still play to the other speakers. My speakers are all airplay compatible so I can’t test this to know for sure. To my ears they sound the same though. 

With airplay you can still use the Sonos app to control volume on all your speakers to get the required sound levels. It’s a compromise if you like the Sonos app, but ime the native app just provides a better experience and access to all the features. 

My understanding is you can group non airplay with the airplay speaker and it will still play to the other speakers. My speakers are all airplay compatible so I can’t test this to know for sure. 

This is true.

Unfortunately, and perhaps understandably, support folks are not always fully knowledgeable on this subject, and it’s much easier to put the issue than track it down on your side, particularly if your KPIs don’t look good when you do that.  And honestly, it is on Apple to resolve though, but they may not be all that motivated to get the issue fixed.  I mean, they would prefer you use their app and airplay...and their speakers.   To be fair, I would not be shocked if a Sonos rep responded with “I’m sorry Apple music isn’t working well for you.  Have you tried Sonos radio?”    It’s the reality of marketplace where companies are both partners and competitors operatiing in multiple markets.

Sonos does read these threads though, and they likely have a communication channel where they can pass this on to Apple, where it can be ignored and filed away.

In the past, the best way to suggest changes to the Sonos implementation of an individual music service has been via their support forums.  Back when Google Play Music was a thing, I watched threads here go on for hundreds of posts asking for the same things over and over, and saw nothing but pushback when it was suggested to lobby over at Google (a pattern we see to this day).  Until one person took the advice and started a series of threads at the Google support forum, and recruited others to post their wishes.  Google actually responded, and the missing features were incorporated in very short time. 

OTOH, calling a support line is probably less effective than even posting here.  No offense to those workers, but they are low paid script readers, and more than likely have no idea how the Sonos/Service integration actually works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It doesn’t get any better with Sonos app updates unfortunately. S1 systems are basically the same as S2 with music service s 

Not quite true. Music services on S2 support the json root format, which allows a much nicer presentation of the initial page from every service. (Not available on the Desktop apps of course).

S2 also supports more SSL root certificates and there are a few services that no longer work on S1 as they use a newer cert.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bumper & @jgatie 

Several of your posts have been removed from this thread. Please refrain from antagonising each other going forward. Thank you.