Skip to main content

Sonos System Gone Crazy?

Since installing the updated app on our android phones, our Sonos system has gone berserk. Speakers randomly join or exit groups; random songs start playing on random speakers; the displays on our 2 phones show different sets of active songs/speakers, and neither of those match what I have on the master app on my Mac desktop; and the app simply stops doing whatever was commanded, in the middle of doing it.  E.g., tried to bundle all the speakers in Party mode and half joined, then several of those promptly croaked.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Are you sure you’re using the right screen to play music??? It sounds very much like you’re using the grouping screen rather than just selecting the speaker you want to play on…

On the Home Screen, tap the name of your system top left (OR drag up the ‘now playing’ shape at the bottom of the screen). This gives you a list of your available rooms/speakers.

Select a room/speaker. This is the room/speaker you will play on next. 

Search for the music you want to play. It will play on your selected speaker. 

(If you have accidentally grouped some rooms together, use the directions above to select one of those rooms/speakers. Tap the symbol/icon showing one speaker in front of another to bring up the grouping screen. Ungroup the speakers.)

@dfmarks - exact same experience here. not sure if everyone is facing the same experience, so encourage you to ignore feedback like @Rhonny posted - this is not a user error situation.

@dfmarks - exact same experience here. not sure if everyone is facing the same experience, so encourage you to ignore feedback like @Rhonny posted - this is not a user error situation.

No, not everyone is facing the same experience.  @Rhonny is trying to help.   You’ve literally just joined and your first post is to encourage the poster to ignore those offering help?   And what help are you offering, exactly ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Andrew-s 

I’d love @dfmarks to now say that actually I was correct, and that did seem to be the problem…!

@desert2024 

Congrats on a great first post.

No, not everyone is facing the same experience.  @Rhonny is trying to help.   You’ve literally just joined and your first post is to encourage the poster to ignore those offering help?   And what help are you offering, exactly ? 

Highly doubt they just joined (well, maybe it was this particular persona who just joined). 

I’ve gotten it somewhat stabilized by ungrouping all speakers on all three devices, clearing all the song queues, selecting 1 speaker to play a Pandora stream, then adding other speakers to that group one at a time, all from my desktop.

The app on my Android still does not reflect what’s actually playing on the active speakers, though. The phone app shows 2 different music streams (neither of which is the selected Pandora stream) playing on 2 speakers...both of which are not actually playing any music. If I add them to the collective, they do cooperate. We’ll see if that sticks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’ve gotten it somewhat stabilized by ungrouping all speakers on all three devices, clearing all the song queues, selecting 1 speaker to play a Pandora stream, then adding other speakers to that group one at a time, all from my desktop.

The app on my Android still does not reflect what’s actually playing on the active speakers, though. The phone app shows 2 different music streams (neither of which is the selected Pandora stream) playing on 2 speakers...both of which are not actually playing any music. If I add them to the collective, they do cooperate. We’ll see if that sticks.

At the risk of someone telling you to ignore me, is it worth uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that eradicates any errant previous behaviours?

that’s a last resort.

@Rhonny - sincere apology. i did not intend to be offensive; i can see how my post came off that way.

are many people not experiencing significant disruption and system failures since the app upgrade? i am, and i had been a happy customer since 2021. i have odd and varied problems almost daily since the new app dropped. perhaps the issues are hit and miss across the user base?

not offensive at all, appreciate the input

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just a really stupid UI decision to not only make the now playing thingy look like a button, since is a menu, but also combining functions in a way that tapping it and pulling it up are two different menus (speaker selection and grouping).

Especially since the line that should attend you to the fact you can pull it up is very slim and vague. I’ve had to point this out to a few people on the community now.

I have exactly the same here. Since last updates, rooms are sometimes grouping randomly without any manual command. This is VERY upsetting and can be even quite dangerous :

The default volume in my cinema room i quite high due to a low input from the beamer.

Imagine when this room is randomly connected to my spotify.

If you are cardiac, you could really have a heart attack !!