Answered

Sonos Streaming horrible with Sirius XM and Spotify

• 18 April 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m re-introducing this topic because it has been brought up before and after all this time, Sonos seems to have failed to do anything about it.   Both Sirius XM and Spotify drop very regularly, at least twice per hour if not more.  With both I get the error message “Unable to connect . . .” and with Sirius XM I also get the message about not being able to play because of some “encoding” issue.

I have gigabit Internet coming to my home and all my Sonos speakers are connected via 3 Sonos AMP’s which are connected via Ethernet cable, so WiFi is not even involved.

Any ideas?  Also, with all the complaints, why hasn’t Sonos addressed this issue being experienced by so many customers?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 April 2023, 07:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It’s most likely due to local issues with the connection between your speakers and your router. In most cases, the speed of the connection between the router and the outside world has no impact on the internal network. Could be wifi interference, could be duplicate IP address issues, could be other router issues. There’s just not enough information in your post to be sure.

These options are speculation based on years of experience in using Sonos, and responding in these forums. In order for you to get better feedback, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge

This is BS. From experience, Sonos and SiriusXM are simply not compatible. I’ve been a Sonos customer for over 9 years and have always had a problem with SiriusXM playing on Sonos. It’s horrible, and they continue (after 9 years) to do nothing about it. It’s not a connection issue, it’s not a speed issue, it’s not a wifi interference issue. It’s a simple fact that it’s a fault in the software that no one on the Sonos side is willing to address. They do nothing about it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've read complaints about Sirius on Sonos here before, but cannot believe all Sirius users experience this, because then the community would be overrun by complaints - and it isn't.

So, because you do not mention it, have you called Sonos and have them have a look at your system?

There is a current Spotify issue with crossfade. Simply disabling crossfade is a temporary workaround. I’m not a SiriusXM user, but I know a SiriusXM user who is struggling with the native App and is not a SONOS user. Personally, I’m not experiencing any Spotify issues, but I don’t use crossfade.

SONOS requires more robust local network support than common web browsing, email, and video streaming.

Since we have no details about your local network, I suggest that you work with SONOS support.