Answered

Sonos stops playing Spotify commercials

• 24 April 2023
  • 90 replies

Userlevel 3

I’ve had my system set up for over a year now. This past weekend, when a Spotify commercial comes on, the system goes silent. Both Spotify and Sonos look like the ad is playing but there is no sound and it doesn’t actually play down and start playing again (the ad or music). I have to pause Sonos then hit play again. Any idea what is causing this? It's annoying to have to stop and start whenever a commercial comes on. 

icon

Best answer by Kevin107 13 October 2023, 12:11

View original

90 replies

I have the same problem, at the request of spotify support I started a topic on spotify because this problem was not yet known to the developers. Could you also respond to this so that it is resolved faster?

It might help if you were to post a link to that thread on Spotify, so people can add their concerns. I’m pretty sure Spotify does not maintain an official presence here on the Sonos Community Forums. 

I have the same problem, at the request of spotify support I started a topic on spotify because this problem was not yet known to the developers. Could you also respond to this so that it is resolved faster?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Subscriptions/Sonos-stops-playing-Spotify-commercials/td-p/5584151

Having same issues while using Sonos. Not having any issues with Spotify in my car. 

Userlevel 3

I have been working with Spotify for over a month on this, back when I first posted here. I’ve done their chat on multiple days & have emailed with several of their customer support people. They are very aware of it. 

Userlevel 3

Is this a way for Spotify to make one pay Premium ????

I’ve asked them several times but they don’t respond to that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Having same issues while using Sonos. Not having any issues with Spotify in my car. 

I got mine working. 
Here’s what I did:

A new update came out so I updated Spotify 

Turned off data saver

Turned off low power mode

Restarted my iPhone and it now works on My Sonos system.

I got mine working. 
Here’s what I did:

A new update came out so I updated Spotify 

Turned off data saver

Turned off low power mode

Restarted my iPhone and it now works on My Sonos system.

Not shure to understand, tried it, not working for me.

JYA

I think the problem is with Sonos. I am having the same issue while playing Spotify on Sonos but none of these problem when I play Spotify on any other devices like echo, earbuds, directly from the smartphone, web browser on my laptop or pc 

So I re-signed up for Spotify premium and am no longer having issues. If it is a Spotify issue and this is their end goal , it worked and they are 9.99 a month richer. 

apparently everyone is having a different experience. I just contacted sonos support and they confirmed to me that is an issue with Sonos and they are aware of that but they don't have an ETA to resolve the problem. Also the Customer service told me that was seeing 3no. spotify accounts on my settings when I could see only one in my app.

Userlevel 1

I don’t know about the rest of you, but yesterday (May 30th) Spotify music service on Sonos started to play through commericals.  Maybe they fixed it?  Are others having the same experience?   

Edit: I posted too soon.  It just got stuck on a commerical again.

Having the same issue on android and iPad connecting to speakers from the Spotify apps and from initialising payback from the Sonos apps. Stops when stream switches to commercials / adverts. Toggling the stop / play button resumes the commercial and then stream continues to the next song.

Same issue for me. After struggling with it for weeks I searched for others who have the same problem and here I am. It's good to see it's not just me. Less good to see these companies can't communicate properly, seemingly not only between each other but also within themselves. Why does Spotify support ask for a user to start a thread on a forum to let the developers know there's an issue? Seems very badly run.

Ditto with the problem viz I use the free Spotify and the  Sonos app to play through my Sonos wireless speakers. I have the Sonos app on my desktop computer, iPad & Apple iPhone 12. Recently (a few weeks now I guess) Sonos stopped at the very start of an ad break and could only be restarted by pausing then starting. A deal breaker!

So I looked for a way of playing Spotify through me Sonos speakers without using the Sonos app.

I have the Spotify app embedded in the Sonos app on my computer, iPad & iPhone. So that I usually play Spotify through the Sonos app. But I also have Spotify as a stand alone app on my iPad & iPhone so I can Bluetooth it through my Sonos Move speaker. So I needed to get the stand alone Spotify app on my desktop computer, that has my living room  Sonos speakers as a Sound output option

A work-around (that works on my Mac desktop system + Sonos speakers anyway) is:

I first of all  closed the Sonos app on my computer desktop. I then downloaded the Spotify app for Mac and placed it in the dock of my Mac desktop. I then opened the Spotify app from the dock of my Mac, signed into my Spotify account and selected one of my playlists and got the playlist to play through the computer’s speakers. I then went to System preferences/Sound/ and selected the sound output to be my living room (which are the Sonos speakers). I haven't had a cut since doing this. 

And of course I can play Spotify through my phone or iPad  which can then Bluetoothed to my Sonos Move speaker or the car’s sound system if I’m driving. 

I’ve had my system set up for over a year now. This past weekend, when a Spotify commercial comes on, the system goes silent. Both Spotify and Sonos look like the ad is playing but there is no sound and it doesn’t actually play down and start playing again (the ad or music). I have to pause Sonos then hit play again. Any idea what is causing this? It's annoying to have to stop and start whenever a commercial comes on. 

I am having that same issue right this moment. It definitely is the source - it is only on some commercials where an image shows up in the Sonos player - at this moment it is on the Strand Bros. - stopping and hitting play resolves it. I submitted diagnostics as noted in the tech reply. 

It seems to choke the player. I am guessing it may be a video commercial or who knows - but not sure. The player is still ‘playing’, but the music stops. when you stop and hit play again it proceeds from the last song.

Hello Sonos,

is Sonos working on this now?

i have had intensive contact with Spotify on this issue and they concluded the issue is on Sonos side and they are in contact with Sonos on this issue, they told me.

But on this discussion I don’t read anything about Sonos working on this and being in contact with Spotify.

my reference with Spotify on this is

ref:_00DD0pxIW._5007TOxmeC:ref

I am having the same problem, but it is occurring with Pandora as well as Spotify.  Agree this is frustrating and detracts from using streaming services on my Sonos.

I just sent a diagnose about 20 seconds after the playing of the commercial stopped. ( so sound stopped at the beginning of the commercial. Commercial runs 30 seconds en than playing stops

you diagnose reference 418920905

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had the same problem with Sonos and Spotify… I have been out of town for three months and it also got a new phone so I figured the problem was on my end. I contacted Sonos tech-support, submitted the diagnostic.  He sent me about eight things I had to have my Internet provider confirm, and told me the problem was my Internet for sure. I spent probably four hours on this yesterday, and it was driving me nuts until I found this thread finally. It’s definitely a Spotify problem. I’ve been using SiriusXM all day no troubles.  Aaargh!

What the internet knows you are playing adverts not music ???...wow bring on AI too sort all this out. We are getting quite bored of the issue..also changed to Amazon music...and wish Sonos One had bluetooth so we could use it a bit more. Either Spotify will/won't fix it but can't understand that as they must need the adverts, or Sonos won't fix/sort etc. Both platforms losing out..which they will before i lose my mind with someone telling me its my internet again and again.  JUST get AI too fix the code 

Same here for 3 months now. There is no solution yet? I am now thinking about not expanding my Sonos further, but opting for a brand elsewhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I absolutely agree. Can you trust any of the platforms to actually do what they say? If this gets sorted out it will prove that someone isn’t awake on watch. And may not be going forward.  Sonos is a brilliant little speaker when it works but I would think very carefully about buying any of this stuff again. It’s not just Spotify issues .. I’ve had to reset it on at least 5/6 occasions because it cannot find the Wi-Fi. Strangely my iPhone can. Always. 

Still the problem here. What can I do?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Keep hammering on.If Niel Fromage can cause the CEOs of major banks to be sacked or resign then you can change these companies to do what you pay for. Doesn't help of course that IK is out of EU.They champion the consumer.