Answered

Sonos stops playing from music library on MacBook

I have a new MacBook Air. Sonos is set up to feed from my NAS Drive, plus also my music so that I get my iTunes playlists as well. Issue I have is that when I ask the controller to play an album or playlist it will only play for about 10 mins and then simply stops. I have tried to adjust sleep savings but no joy. Anyone got any ideas as to why this happens/how to solve. I tried calling Sonos but they had no idea. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 7 July 2022, 11:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Can you perhaps kindly clarify is this an external HDD connected to the MAC, or a separate NAS box attached direct to the LAN?

If it’s the former, I would maybe check with Apple Support/Forum and elsewhere online to ensure all the possible power settings have been checked, including such things as powering down its processor, drives, USB ports, network/WiFi adapters etc. it maybe a setting in the device Bios, for example, rather that the actual operating system. 

If it’s a separate NAS box library, then obviously you can ignore the MAC completely, as that’s unlikely going to be relevant and therefore just concentrate on the the power saving settings just on that box.

hi, its a NAS drive hard wired to the router. With my old android laptop this problem never occurred, its only since I changed to a MacBook. The nas drive is always powered on - never turns off/sleeps. Just can't fathom it.

It sounds like files on the Mac are also in the Music Library? If you just reindex the NAS does the problem still occur?

The Sonos controller is just a ‘remote’ - you should therefore be able to start playing music from your NAS Box to a Sonos product using the App and actually power off the MAC completely …and the music would normally continue to play, as the playing Sonos device gets the audio direct from the NAS library.

So I would check the NAS box power-settings  - if however the playback stop-time varies, it might just be the playing Sonos device is intermittently losing its connection.

If that speaker is running on your routers WiFi, maybe try it on a different WiFi channel (I suggest using channel 1, 6 or 11 with a channel-width of 20Mhz only) , or (if a modern Sonos device that’s using the 5Ghz band/SSID) then switch it to the 2.4Ggz band - or maybe even just run an audio-test with it wired direct to the LAN/Router too.

It sounds like files on the Mac are also in the Music Library? If you just reindex the NAS does the problem still occur?

how would you re-index a nas drive?

Goto the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Music Library’ and select ‘Update Music Index Now’ and wait until the indexing completes

What I meant was that it sounds from your post that your Sonos Music Library consists of files on your Mac as well as on your NAS, so it must include at least two folder paths.  I was suggesting that you temporarily remove the path(s) to anything on your Mac, and then update the Sonos Music Library so that it consists only of files on your NAS.  Then see if the problem stiil occurs.  It is just a diagnostic step.

Yes I removed the path to my MacBook so source is only the NAS drive. This now works fine but the issue now is I can’t copy iTunes playlists though of course the music is all there. If i then follow the Sonos advice and add my MacBook music folder in preferences as well the system breaks down again. It’s odd because my entire iTunes source is only from the nas drive including the embedded spreadsheet that sorts it within iTunes and yet it will not import playlists. Thanks for your advise so far