Sonos Song Limit

• 9 March 2024
  • 4 replies

I cannot recommend Sonos products for those with large libraries.  Their recommended fix for indexing is to use Plex.  I find Plex to be awkward and slow for music.  But most importantly, it does not import playlists (m3u).  I have a significant time investment in playlists and Plex is dead to me.

Maybe there’s better support with Plex Pass, which is a subscription.  But why should I have to pay another company to use Sonos, who I already payed.

Other suggestions such as dividing folders just for Sonos is not practical.  Again, large library.

Bluesound has a much larger limit. 

I’ll be adding this comment wherever Sonos is sold.

4 replies

Since over 93% of streaming on Sonos is done through external service providers, the impact of local library support (or lack thereof) gets less and less every year. Your complaint may have been topical back in 2010, but now it’s just a minor annoyance. 

Yes, I agree with you about Sonos being unsuitable for those with large local libraries.

The best solution that I’ve found so far is to run a music server on a NAS and then use something like HifiCast to cast the music to any Chromecast compatible device. I have a complete set of my files that I use this way, whereas the Sonos system can only access a subset of these.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes, I agree with you about Sonos being unsuitable for those with large local libraries.

The best solution that I’ve found so far is to run a music server on a NAS and then use something like HifiCast to cast the music to any Chromecast compatible device. I have a complete set of my files that I use this way, whereas the Sonos system can only access a subset of these.

I’m not at the limit, but I cast Plexamp with airplay and use a third party music server as well. It may be that the % of people using local libraries is low because Sonos doesn’t have features expected for playback in 2024, it’s way too basic, has it even really changed since 2005 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I agree with you the 65k limit is getting more ridiculous by the day, even when the percentage of users playing their own music is less - though maybe this could also be because of the 65k limit.

I fact you already paid Sonos and should not have to pay Plex, does not sit well with me, however. The feauture to play your own music has not even changed since you bought in to Sonos, so if you want more, the need to pay is not strange (though I am not sure using Plex pass makes it possible to use playlists). In my opinion Sonos does hardware, and opens this up to others via it’s software.