Answered

Sonos S2 MacOS app black screen on install

• 24 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Trying to install the app. 

1. I download the latest Sonos S2 file from Sonos support site. 
  2. Add Sonos to my applications
  3. Open Sonos app
  4. App opens but the screen is black, I get loading spinner forever. 
  5. App stays unresponsive, I have to Force Quit 

On my other Mac, the software update fails and the app is also unresponsive. I have 5x Sonos speakers but I’m losing patience and have not purchased anymore speakers due to various software issues. 

Macbook M2 Pro 16” 2023

MacOS Ventura 13.6 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 April 2024, 01:07

View original

1 reply

I’d guess there is some software incompatibility, particularly with your video drivers, although that’s a guess. At the least, I’d delete your current versions, and empty the trash. I’d then reboot the Mac, and download a fresh copy from https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads and try a new install. If you get to the choice, make sure you choose ‘Connect to existing system’.

I suppose it might also fail if your Mac wasn’t on the same subnet as your speakers, since I think part of the startup process is a poll of existing potential connections (devices).

Note that today, they’ve announced that the desktop apps are going to go away completely at some point, in favor of a new web app, which will be released on May 7. While I use the Mac app frequently, they did strip the admin functions out of it several years ago, and for quite a while now, in order to do any admin functions, you’ve needed to use a mobile controller.