sonos S2 app: android cell and Sonos system all on same network, but Sonos doesn't see it

• 18 October 2023
  • 6 replies

I’ve gone through “Let’s fix it” countless times. It says it can’t find the network. The cell phone and Sonos are on the same network, but it always says they are not and wants me to “fix it”, but that sequence of steps doesn’t work. However, If I unpower the S3 speakers and plug them back in, the S2 app on my Samsung works until I’m no longer using the app. It would be helpful if the app said what network it thinks Sonos is on. How can that be checked (it’s not in the app details). I have three laptops that see the network just fine same as my cell. I do have another network, but so what? What do I have to do to get the app to work consistently? Please consider fixing the app so the Sonos network can be entered manually without going through “fix it”. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos controllers and players need to be on the same IP subnet. It’s quite common these days for a local network to be unwittingly split into multiple subnets, e.g. by the introduction of meshed WiFi systems. Note that WiFi extenders are not supported.

Describe your network and we might be able to help. Also, make sure your Android isn’t falling back to the cellular network if WiFi weakens.

Ratty,

I have an Orbi AX6000 Tri-Band Mesh Router(RBR860). It produced 2 networks, 2.4 Ghz (slow) and 5 GHz (fast) bands. Sonos is on the 5GHz band. My cell is set on the 5GHz band. Looks like you might be right about switching bands for a weak signal, since I noticed my cell had switched to the 2.4 band. I switched it back, but Sonos still wouldn’t work through the app last night. Now it works. Is there a quick way to update the connection, “fix it” doesn’t work (Sonos doesn’t recognize the change back to 5GHz in my cell and can’t find that subnet). 

Thanks.

Peter

You’re missing a couple of descriptors there. 2.4 GHz : long distance, better penetration of obstacles like walls,  and 5Ghz, faster, but not necessary for music purposes, less distance, less penetration of obstacles. 

OK. How about for cell phones not used for streaming? Then if cells are not an issue, how do I change the Songs to 2.4GHz?

Do you have another WiFi active, from an internet router, in addition to the Orbi? The Orbi is, by default, in router mode so if your phone was attached to that other WiFi it wouldn’t be able to see the Sonos devices.

Any chance you're running a VPN on your android? I was having the same troubles and Sonos help desk was powerless to solve them. Then I discovered that if I turned off the VPN everything worked fine. Now I run the VPN but I adjusted the settings so that Sonos gets a split tunnel. And that works too.