Sonos Port + Third Party Speaker Sync

Badge

Hello!

I just set up a Sonos Port to my turntable and a third party speaker, but I am having sync issues when playing to the speaker and other Sonos speakers.

Here's a breakdown of my set-up:

AT-LP120XUSB »

Rega Phono Mini A2D V2 »

Sonos Port »

Marshall Stanmore II Voice

I would understand a delay if were running to an receiver between the Port and the Marshall speaker, but I'm going Line-Out directly to the Marshall. I've also set the Port to the all the Audio Delay options in the app without success.

Is it not possible to play music Line-Out to a third-party speaker and to the Sonos simultaneously without a delay?

Thanks!

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing the phono preamp and setting the Audio Delay setting in the Sonos app to Max. Also set the Audio Compression setting in the Sonos app to Automatic or Compressed.

Badge

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Unfortunately, the delay is still the same. I'm starting to get the impression that the Port is not built to play simultaneously through Sonos and Line Out, despite the presence of there being a Line Out.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

There is 75ms minimum latency between a SONOS Line-In and Line-Out -- regardless of the SONOS model.

Badge

So have I misunderstood the purpose of the Port? Is simultaneous play between third-party speakers and Sonos not possible?

PORT Integrates a traditional source with a SONOS system.

If it is possible to simultaneously hear a SONOS Line-In based source and a the same source directly connected to a traditional analog system, then SONOS is not appropriate. If the rooms are isolated from each other, no one will notice the 75ms offset.

Badge

Ah, well, I'm in an apartment so nothing is completely isolated...

Userlevel 7

@Krummbum I wonder if the Marshall is creating the added delay. Is the Marshall more delayed than the Sonos speakers? Do you have any other third-party powered speakers that you can test with the Port?

You may be able to re-think things. If PORT is the only source of audio and there are no active SONOS speakers, this would be no different than using a CD player as the source. If you are playing ancient CD’s an additional 75ms is insignificant.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar I looks like the the Marshall is behind so the likely culprit. Unfortunately, I don't have any passive l speakers with a Line-In to test. I suppose I could purchase some RCA converters to hook up some speaker wire.

@buzz Yeah, I'm gonna have to consider another option here. I like my Marshall, but would also like some Multi-room capabilities with my turntable.

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar I looks like the the Marshall is behind so the likely culprit. Unfortunately, I don't have any passive l speakers with a Line-In to test. I suppose I could purchase some RCA converters to hook up some speaker wire.

@buzz Yeah, I'm gonna have to consider another option here. I like my Marshall, but would also like some Multi-room capabilities with my turntable.

I apologize. I meant “do you have any other third-party POWERED speakers to test”.

Badge

Ah, ok. Tested with other speakers and they were okay. So strange the Marshall would create a delay with an RCA or Aux input.

Thanks for all your help!

If the Marshall offers digital processing, this could introduce latency.

Badge

As an update, I ended up purchasing a RCA piggyback cable doing the following:

AT-LP120XUSB »

Rega Phono Mini A2D V2 »

Marshall Stanmore II Voice »

Piggyback »

Sonos Port

I then set-up the Audio Delay for the Port to be 150 ms. It’s sounding good.