Sonos pair not showing in Win10 Cast to Device in Win Media player

• 21 February 2024
  • 5 replies

I have 4 Sonos 1-Gen-2 units.

I have 2 configured as a stereo pair which shows up on Cast to Device on Win10 Media Player and streams OK from my PC - great!

I have 2 more configured as a stereo pair, but only one shows up on Cast to Device. This looks very much like the single One-Gen-2 I had before purchasing and adding the second of the stereo pair. Trying to cast even to this single one comes back with an error and it doesn’t work.

When I look at my NETWORK in File Explorer, I can see BOTH stereo pairs (and also my Sonos Roam)

I have reset both units the offending stereo pair and reset them up again, then rebooted my PC but the problem persists. I have also checked that Win10 streaming is turned on and can see all of the Sonos units - but one of the offending stereo pair is named ‘Unknown’ whereas the other just carries it’s IP address

Do I need to delete this stereo pair from my network or do something to reset either on the PC or on the Sonos app or on my network.

Many thanks for any suggestions I can try

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state “Trying to cast even to this single one comes back with an error”. Would specifying the error help people here to help you?

Thanks for replying, please see below

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need to cast to the coordinator device of a stereo pair (or a group). For a group the coordinator is easy to determine (its the first one in the generated name shown in the app), for a stereo pair I am not sure (and I am away from my system right now).

As one of the devices is not showing correctly, I think you have a weird network problem, which likely also explains the strange message above. As the Network panel shows the device, I can’t imagine why the Cast menu does not.

Do you have File & Printer sharing enabled? Although it should not be necessary, its another thing to try.

Do you have a non-Windows firewall or VPN or other unusual network configuration?

Here is a composite of the configs shown on Win10

That’s very helpful! Thankyou for your reply. I will certainly try the things you suggest and think a bit more.