Sonos online update now requiring new password?

• 4 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi community, just wondering why I am having to create a new password to do an online update for my Sonos system when I already have a logon and password for it -- which it is not asking for -- this is a new separate prompt forcing a new password creation.  Finding this nonsensical.  If I select more info it prompts me to create a new Sonos account, which is dumb since I already have one.  Again, finding this nonsensical.  Anyone else?  Any info on this? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’ve never heard of this before. In order to update the system, I do think you have to be logged in (at least memory says you do), but not that you’d need to create a new account to do so.

You may want to reboot all your speakers, and then log in on your controller using your normal Sonos account, then try the update again. 

If that fails, you may want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Airgetlam!  I’ve never had to be logged in to update the app before so it was odd to see, must have been a glitch because now all is good and I did not go thru the motions of logging out and back in, rebooting etc…  Appreciate your quick reply!

In recent updates I have sometimes been asked for a sign-in, but never to setup a new account.

Have you added any new units or Factory Reset any current units? If so and you accidentally selected “new system” rather than “existing system”, there will be some mayhem.

I agree with Airgetlam and would go one step farther: Reboot SONOS units and either reset or uninstall/reinstall the controller. Nothing critical is stored in the controllers. You’ll be prompted for your existing account. Factory Reset will destroy data.

I think SONOS is attempting to solve the issue of house guests simply installing a controller, then mucking with the SONOS system setup. And I think that Marketing wants to make sure that they know where to send their stuff.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Buzz, no new units or factory reset, I did what I always do for updates and this has never happened previously.  I’m chucking it up to a glitch, unless it happens again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The wording in the app is very confusing (in the Desktop app, I don’t do updates on mobile usually). Yes, it implies you need a new password, but you don’t, you just need to use your existing password. It is just poor wording on the update screen.