Answered

sonos losing connection on during the day

• 11 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Good evening, 

I have been reading many many threads, but I now need to try and get help, as nothing seems to work.

i have a sky router and from that I have an amplifi router which creates its own WiFi network, as I need to get coverage which sky can’t in the house.

since i have set this up in December my 2 play ones, 3 x play 3’s and Beam all lose connection throughout the day.

i have the beam hardwired into the amplifi router

Before connecting to sonosnet I tried  all of the speakers on  WiFi and gave each Sonos a static up address. that didn’t help so set up sonosnet
but everyday at some point during the day the app doesn’t recognise the system and I have reboot the amplifi router, and power on and then off all the speakers.

all the settings on the amplifi are switched to non auto so there is no clash with 2.4 or 5GHz Sonosnet is set to channel 11 and router is set to 6 

all speaks show WM:0, even the dash board on the amplifi app shows all speakers as being wired.

i just don’t get why at certain times of the day the app just doesn’t connect, it seems to happen more when leaving the house and then coming back in and I have re Boot amplifi router. And go through the whole powering down and then up again of all the speakers. 

any help guidance trouble shooting would be much appreciated.

thank you 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 January 2024, 23:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With the static/reserved IP addresses already set I’d really lean to an RF signal/noise issue. You can try the FAQ guide but you also may want to wait for the issue to pop up and submit a diagnostic and call Sonos support.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

Perhaps see if blacklisting your mobile controller device on the Sky router, and also removing the Amplifi WiFi credentials from the Sonos App resolves your issue. That’s assuming the Sky router and Amplifi router are not broadcasting the same WiFi SSID’s and that you’re using Double NAT with the Amplifi router setup.  

See this link to remove the WiFi credentials…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-wifi-network-from-your-sonos-system

Years ago I had major troubles. I kept a log and soon noticed that daytime and some evenings were fine, Sundays were almost impossible. I slipped a copy of my log under my neighbor’s door. A few days later the log returned, with annotations. She sometimes traveled overnight for business and Sunday afternoon she called mom. She was using a cordless phone known to cause WiFi issues. I managed to work around the issue by avoiding use of wireless connections near her base station.

Some baby monitors, security cameras, microwave ovens, and Zigbee devices interfere with WiFi.

Thank you for your replies, all noted and I have looked into the issue, it still keeps on happening 

I have tried to disable the WiFi on the Sky router, so that the only WiFi signal is from the AMPLIFI,  but as I can’t connect the Sky q mini boxes via an Ethernet, I have to keep WiFi on the Sky Router, so they work with the Sky mesh WiFi. 

As and when the Sonos drops off, I will have to re boot the routers and power cycle the Sonos speakers so they connect each time to Sonos net as a work around, and see if I can find a network engineer locally to take a look at the set up

thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Amplifi gear should not give any issues, but it is important to stop the Sonos gear from using the Sky wifi or its wired subnet.

The Beam is hard-wired to the Amplifi, so you should be getting SonosNet on everything else, which is good.

If reserving IP addresses (which should not be necessary on Amplifi gear) make sure the reserved address is in the Amplifi’s DHCP address range: again, keeping Sonos devices off that Sky subnet is key.

Also make sure your mobile device stays off the Sky network: if it connects to that it will certainly be unable to see your Sonos devices. I have a feeling this is the most likely issue.