Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Controller Update Failed. An Unexpected Error Occurred. Please Try Again

• 16 November 2022
  • 53 replies

On MacOS 13.1, running on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Consistent error message when trying to update the MacOS Sonos app (on prompt in app). Only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Very frustrating!

Any ideas how to stop this happening?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Badge +1

Error message still not fixed on Sonoma 14.1.2. Mac M2

The OS does send a message that the installer is ignoring and just posting a generic “I do not know what is happening” error. If the error message from Sonos was better then people would know to allow Sonos the necessary security level.

Consistent error message when trying to update the MacOS Sonos app (on prompt in app). Only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Very frustrating!

√ This fix worked only AFTER I first allowed Sonos “Full Disk Access” (again, Settings>Privacy and Security). Without doing that the Sonos Installer did not show in the App Management section.

√ On another mac it worked to download the Sonos app from the website, drag it to the applications folder, select “Replace”. Sonos then opened and worked without prompting an update.

x This has caused problems with using Sonos - needing someone who can problem solve tech issues, time and clear headspace to figure out - and is yet another anil in the coffin for some in my family who already find Sonos to be too unreliable (in that it often doesn’t show the speakers we need when we need to just pop on some music in a certain room). Sonos - why not just pop a note in the update prompt to say that if we’re updating on a mac to follow a link or something so that we can do it without having to search out solutions for ourselves.

Very frustrating!

oh man i’ve been looking for a solution for years lol thank you so much, i don’t know why I didn’t search this earlier.