Answered

sonos connects to another account

Badge

Hello   I bought my son his own Sonos. Now mine isn’t working and keeps telling me to log into his account.  How can I separate them please. We are both sharing the same wi-fi

Thank you 

icon

Best answer by John B 8 January 2023, 23:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I assume that your son’s system was setup as a “new” system. Reset the controller and take care to “connect an existing system”. Specify your system at this point.

It really depends on how you have set things up, but please try the following initially and report back.

1. Power off your son’s speaker(s).
  2. Reset your Sonos app.  Go to Settings, App Preferences, Reset App
  3. Hopefully you will have an option to join an existing system and it will be yours.  Do NOT choose to set up a new system

Please post back on whether or not that sorts it, or what happens if it doesn’t work.

Badge

Thank you so much I will try that later 

Badge

Hi John 

I have reset app but it still wants me to sign in with his account . I also removed the app , tried again but it still wants his email to sign in   I have had my own account for years but it doesn’t show it at all 

many thanks 

Theresa

You powered off your son's speakers before resetting your app and reconnecting?

Could you briefly describe the steps you took to set up your son's speaker(s)?

Badge

Hi John

Yes I did exactly as you advised. I have asked my son how he set the speaker up and he used set up a new system 

Many thanks 

Theresa

This is puzzling…

When your son connects with his app, does he see just his speaker or all the original speakers too?

Userlevel 7

@theresa2865 - If you log into your Sonos account online and check under System, are all your speakers showing there?

Badge

Mr T. Unfortunately I can’t log into my account anymore. It just shows my sons email 

Many thanks 

Theresa

Badge

John

He has my speaker on his account 

Many thanks 

Theresa

Userlevel 7

Mr T. Unfortunately I can’t log into my account anymore. It just shows my sons email 

Many thanks 

Theresa

I was referring to your Sonos account online at Sonos.com, not in the Sonos app

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

Badge

I am able to access Sonos and SonosTube on a very old iPhone that I rescued of mine still

@theresa2865 . I think you are confusing accounts and apps and so it is hard to get a clear picture of what has happened. 

My best guess is that your son , by setting up a new system while  your speaker was still active, has wiped out your system. 

I think you will have to factory reset your speaker, power off your son's speaker, reset your app, then set up a new system using your speaker. 

Resetting your speaker would delete your Sonos playlists etc, but I think that ship has already sailed 

Badge

Hi John 

Okay thank you. I will try this. If not I will contact Sonos directly. Thank you for your help 😁

OK. Please post back as to how it goes.

Badge

Hi John

I Will do.

Can you advise how to factory reset please. I won’t be able do try it today though . I can’t get into the account on my phone and feel a little reluctant to use the old one just in case it doesn’t work 

Many thanks 

Theresa

Badge

My speaker was definitely powered on while he set his own account up. 

Hi John

I Will do.

Can you advise how to factory reset please. I won’t be able do try it today though . I can’t get into the account on my phone and feel a little reluctant to use the old one just in case it doesn’t work 

Many thanks 

Theresa

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/reset-your-sonos-product

Hi John

I Will do.

Many thanks 

Theresa

When you go into the app you are NOT logging into your account.  Logging into your account is something you do on the web, via the Sonos website.  Whatever has happened to your system, your Sonos account should be intact.  It is not linked to a particular device.  Please see the earlier comment on this topic from @Mr. T .

Badge

Thank you both. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on

Theresa 

Badge

My Sonos account says no registered devices. I have had my Sonos about 4/5 years but perhaps didn’t register it at the time 

My Sonos account says no registered devices. I have had my Sonos about 4/5 years but perhaps didn’t register it at the time 

You registered, but it may have been under another email.  If you wish to move it to a new account, see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/transfer-your-sonos-system-to-a-new-account

Badge

Hi jgatie

i haven’t ever changed my email. I don’t really want to do so either as I like to use SonosTube and this is on the same email 

Many thanks 

Theresa

The reason you have no registered devices is because all speakers are now registered to your son's account. Your son has stolen your speaker! This is consistent with what I have said so far.

If your son logs into his Sonos account I think he will find both speakers registered there.

Edit: it looks like you may have confirmed this in an earlier post, although I think you were probably looking at his app, not his account.