Skip to main content

I am having some drop out issue with songs that are on the SYNOLOGY NAS with DSM 7.x

SYNOLOGY DS1821+ NAS with latest DSM 7.0 version.

SONOS S2 System (Wired and Wireless)

Three SONOS components grouped (AMP - Wired, Five - Wired and One - Wireless)

All wired SONOS components are connected to various TP-LINK Managed Switches and have the proper STP / RSTP configurations.

The wife selects a song (FLAC Format) that is stored on the SYNOLOGY DS1821+ NAS

SONOS makes a SMB3 connection to the NAS however the connection is coming from a SONOS Port that is not part of the group. In the SYNOLOGY connection log, it shows this connection numerous times and then it will show the IP address of the SONOS Amp that was part of the group and then go back to the SONOS Port. The timing appears to coincide with the music dropping.

Questions:

1. Why would the initial connection be made through the SONOS Port?
  2. Why would multiple connections be open to the SYNOLOGY NAS by the SONOS Port?

Is PORT wired or wireless?

Go to Settings → System →  About My System and check the Associated Product. I suspect that it is PORT and the library index and artwork displayed on the controller are being fetched from the NAS through PORT. Later the Group “Coordinator” will fetch tracks from the NAS. The Coordinator is the first player listed in the Group. If the Coordinator is the wireless ONE and it is struggling with connectivity, this could explain the situation. If this is the case, building the Group in a different order might help.

The PORT is wired. The associated Products has an IP address of 10.0.0.72 which is a FIVE that is connected wireless, and it is located in the front of the house. The ONE, AMP and FIVE that are grouped are located in the Master Bedroom (AMP), Master Bathroom (FIVE) and Master Closet (ONE). In the group only the ONE is connected wireless.

How do I get the Associated Product to pick another SONOS product that is wired vs wireless?

Additional Information:

The Windows application shows the associated product as 10.0.0.72 (Wireless FIVE). 

My iPhone app shows the associated product as 10.0.0.210 which is the (Wired Guest Playbase) located in the front of the house. 

On my wife’s iPhone the associated product is also 10.0.0.72 (Wired Guest Playbase)

You don’t have any control over which unit will become the Associated Product. Controllers can be shut down while music is playing because NAS play is done directly through the products. The track Queue is stored in the players, this is why all controllers are aware of the Queue. If you are playing music stored on a phone/pad or played through a phone/pad App, such as Spotify, then the phone/pad connectivity is in the fray.

Submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of an event. Network issues leave tracks. If you post the confirmation number here, SONOS staff can comment.

The SMB2/3 support is a little slow and the players are impatient. I haven’t seen any complaints about poor play, but the controllers will sometimes time out while attempting to display album art.

Thank you for the response. Technical support had me reboot the Master Bedroom AMP and so far, the system seems to back too normal.

Sometimes, a reload of the operating system does have the benefit of clearing any potential memory errors that may have accumulated over time.