Question

Sonos can't find my computer and my music library

• 12 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I have set network to private.  I have configured firewall as explained on the FAQ.  I have tried other fixes.  None have worked or have lasted as a fix.  Most articles on here are too old and the instructions no longer apply.  Please help.  Happy to submit diagnostic report.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @tjameslane.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and for doing the extra mile of starting with some basic troubleshooting steps. I understand that you wanted to share your music library with your Sonos ecosystem. I would like to share with you by going through these recommendations to help out.

I would recommend the following basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot the router by unplugging it from power and plugging it back after 10-15 seconds to refresh network connectivity and delete temporary data stored on the router.
  2. Reboot your Sonos devices.
  3. Force close and re-open the Sonos app
  4. Test if the issue persists.

I would also like to suggest the following guides to check if these things would also help fix the issue.

1. I had to change permissions for the folder where my music is stored.  It was set to “Custom,” and I changed it to “Read & Write.”
  2. I then went to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.  Under “Full Disc Access,” both the Sonos program AND SonosLibraryServer must be allowed.
  3. Finally, the computer name and NetBIOS name must be exactly the same in both System Preferences > Sharing - and in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS.

After that, update the Music Library.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted on the progress.

Thanks,