Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Beam 2 or IOS app issue

• 4 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I did load the latest FW today but I have not had a chance to see what happens. After that last major IOS app update in May or so I keep losing the settings. All EQ settings, height & voice enhance all go back to 0 or drop out of my preferred settings. Last month I did a hard factory reset and it seemed better however it started again.

What is odd is I can leave my place and lose WIFI, come back and everything is fine. When I’m at home and don’t go anywhere sometimes the settings reset themselves to 0 again. Very puzzling.                             

5 replies

Badge

So I did a little troubleshooting and I think I may have figured out what is going on. I have Sony Smart TV and a Bell cable box.

Ethernet cable is connected to the cable box. HDMI cable from the cable box goes into the TV’s HDMI port #1. The Beam 2 HDMI goes to the TV’s eARC port #3. This happens with the TV eARC setting in either Auto or Off.    

I watch cabe via the cable box. Netflix, etc I use WIFI.  I get a better picture and absolutely no latency, pixilation, etc. I get that from time to time with the cable box which is supposed to be their best 4K available. Netflix speed test showed I’m getting near 300 Mbps and you only need 25.

It appears the Sonos app resets all the settings to zero only when the iPhone goes to sleep and I switch back and forth between the cable box and TV WIFI. I’m going to test it a few more times tomorrow to be sure this happens with the iPhone is sleeping only.   

This likely explains why I leave my place, come back and the settings remain the same. As long as I stopped watching the cable box and came back to it. We always leave it on TV when not watching Netflix, etc.

I tried to set up Groups on the Beam app and it didn’t do anything but maybe I just don’t know how to use that correctly. Not sure if this has been discussed in these forums.                                                                                  

Badge

Also I don’t recall this happening before that big app change in May (I think).    

Badge

I couldn’t wait. An update.

When I said the iPhone going to sleep I meant the screen shutting off. If the Sonos app is open and the iPhone screen shuts off, the settings do not reset to 0 if I switch between cable and WIFI. If I shut the app off and do this with either the iPhone screen on or off the settings reset to zero.

If I leave it on Cable and do not switch to WIFI. The settings do not reset to 0 whether the app is on or off and I power the TV on or off. The cable box always has power. 

Badge

It was rather frustrating but at least I know what do now. I just have to make sure the Sonos app is running.

I hope this solves a second problem. Having a full surround system for years put us in a difficult position when we got a condo about 4 years ago. All the research I did led to the same conclusion. If you want to make enemies with your neighbours get a subwoofer. 😀

I was not sure if my wife would like them but I picked up two Sennheiser headphones. She loves them and so do I. You can hear all the dialogue and I don’t have to keep turning the volume down for the explosions, etc. We only use them for series and movies. Sports, news, talk shows, etc we just used the TV.

A few months ago we picked up a 77” Sony and wall mounted it. The old 55” was abut 20” from the wall so it was closer to us and think the sound bounced off the wall better.

We’re not getting any younger so it gets harder to hear. I never thought much about soundbars but decided to get one. We tried 5 different ones and settled with the Beam 2. I’m really impressed and glad we got it. I could turn the bass down bit but I kinda like the light thump (+1). They are forward firing but I could still feel it on the thumb on the TV stand and floor. 

I’m pretty sure I got ripped off but got a set of Sound Addicted foam pads. They are supposed to be the correct density but I figure any foam would have done the job. I didn’t like the extra ½” height so I added a metal plate behind the top glasss plate. Just enough to get the Beam off the stand. I have to say  I think isolating the Beam improved the sound and now I can feel the thump from my chair but I can’t feel it on the stand or floor.

So to my secondary problem. The headphones are connected directly to the TV via optical cable. I just turned the Sonos volume down to zero via a remote. A few times I took the headphones off the sound was back to original setting on the Beam. I could not trust and had to keep checking the Sonos volume. I think it is related. I’ll have to do a few weeks of testing but I know now to leave the Sonos app on.

I don’t recall this ever happening before the May app update. 

Badge

Another test today. I left the system on cable last night and powered down. Cable box is always on.  Woke up today, turned the app off, turned the TV, turned the app on and it lost its settings. So it appears the app has to be on at all times. The Beam itself does not retain the data. I guess the last test is if my wife turns the TV on while I’m out. It may reset but if I don’t turn the app off will it go back to my preferred settings when I come home.          

I tried to find this issue here but there are quite a few threads but I’m not sure if this has been discussed or not. I’m not sure if it is an actual issue and it is supposed to run this way but I don’t remember it doing this before.