Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos audio cuts out frequently when playing music

• 17 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos 2 system consisting of 6 Connect:Amps, a Sonos Move and a Playbar + Sub.  The Connect:Amps are in a Sanus rack, connected to my Netgear Orbi Router via an 8-port Netgear bridge. I have 2 Orbi Satellites.  My music is stored locally on my MacBook Pro (running Sonoma 14.1.2) hard drive and the MacBook is connected to the network via my Wifi network.  I have a 1Gigabit Xfinity service and my Wifi signai is very strong (e.g 450Mbps Bandwidth speedtest).  My Sonos system tells me it is up-to-date

When I play my music my Sonos sound will frequently drop out for 5-7 seconds before starting up again.  It happens whether I am streaming my own music from my MacBook or using a streaming service like Spotify...although perhaps it is more frequent when I am streaming my own music.  Bringing up the Sonos 2 app on my iPhone and adjusting the music volume will frequently cause the music to stop playing for a little while.  We bought the house in 2018, shortly after it was built.  I do not recall having this issue when we first started listening to music but now it is so frequent that the system is unusable...with the music cutting out sometimes multiple times in a single song.

I read that changing the SonosNet Channel might help...but on my iphone Sonos 2 app I went to Settings > System > Network and tried all 3 different channels and it did not make a difference.

I have read that maybe I need to assign static IP addresses to my Sonos gear and then set my the DHCP range of my router to exclude the IP address I use for Sonos...but before I go to that trouble I would like to verify that I am having an IP address conflict issue.  Is there a way to do this?

Additional information.  I don’t know if this matters but I also run the S1 app on my iphone and Macbook because I have an older Sonos system at my secondary home.  I don’t have any problems with this system cutting out.  Additionally, there is a Pentair Screenlogic Wireless Connection kit and a Lutron Caseta Wireless hub connected to my Orbi router.  The Pentair wireless hub has been there since I bought the house so I don’t think it could be an issue.  The Lutron wireless hub is more recent...last year or so.

Any suggestions on how I narrow down what is causing the problem (does Sonos produce an error log when the music stops) and how I solve it.  Is it definitely a case of having an IP address conflict issue and if so, is there an easy way of figuring out what device(s) is(are) causing the conflict?

thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

One additional data point.  I just streamed music from my MacBook to my Sonos Move (outside) for over an hour with no cut-outs.  I would have thought that if I was really experiencing a duplicate IP address conflict issue then I would have the cut-outs/dropped audio issue with my Sonos Move as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you have wired a non-Era main Sonos speaker to Ethernet you are running in SonosNet mode and not using your WiFi for them. The Move would be on your WiFi.

The best test to see if you are having DHCP issues is to take the five minutes needed to set up the static/reserved IP addresses in your router’s DHCP settings page. Next best would be installing a network monitor and seeing if you (can be the first to do so) detect an issue. Several of us here have spent a lot of time using lesser methods and found nothing.

Sonos doesn’t generate an error log and most of the internal data is hidden from you “for your safety” as we have been told. What you can do is manually generate a diagnostic from the Settings menus and have it sent to Sonos. Write down the number and call Sonos to have them look at it.

Addendum note: your Move is using your WiFi, the other stuff is using Sonos net. There may be a chance your racked Sonos are the root of the problem and Sonos has an option to deal with that situation, turning off all but one of the racked Sonos radios. Less than helpfully that option is called “Disable WiFi.”