Answered

Sonos app versus spotify app on Android

• 13 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi All

Is it just me or i’m I right? songs from Spotify sounds much better when I use Sonos app instead of Spotify app on my Andoid Samsung???

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 13 January 2023, 14:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Defess 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although you didn’t state it, I’m going to assume you meant playing from the “Spotify app on your Samsung Android to the Sonos speaker”. Otherwise, it’s an unusual question 😁

The only reason I can think of as to why Spotify would sound better from the Sonos app versus the Spotify app playing to Sonos is if the Spotify app is signed into a Spotify Free account, whereas Sonos is signed into a Premium tier account. The Premium tier plays at 320kbps maximum, whereas the Free tier plays at 160kbps maximum. Even if Sonos has a Premium account set up on it, when the Spotify Connect session starts, the Spotify app gives account details to the Sonos speaker which it uses for that session, so they’d be using the same account and tier. Therefore, the bitrate, in this case, could be limited as compared to using the Sonos app with it’s associated Premium account.

I don’t have the Spotify app, but a colleague did a comparison test for me and could not discern a difference - though he’s using the same account each time.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

In the Spotify app, I would check under Settings > Audio Quality as you can set different streaming qualities for both WiFi and cellular streaming that would apply when using the Spotify app with a Premium account.

The settings include the following options:

• Automatic
  • Low
  • Normal
  • High
  • Very high

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @Mr. T!

Spoken like someone who has seen the Spotify app in the last 3 years!

I should have remembered that, however.

Hi all

Thanks for you help. Thatcher works well now