Skip to main content
Question

Sonos App v 80.00.08 Released

Look out, an update to the new app just dropped. Anyone update yet?

If you don’t want this turn off auto updates ASAP

If you are feeling brave or self loathing, update and let us know how good or bad  it is🤣

As is typical there are no Release Notes yet.

Watch out for the STEALTH UPDATES  - auto update OFF makes no difference.  2 androids and ipad updated without permission. 

SOFTWARE ABDUCTION & KIDNAP 😝

CLASS ACTION NOW  oh wait just delete and side load. You good. 🤣

Quite frankly, I don't give a flying fgyh anymore ✈️😛.

🤤. Drooling over the Naim muso qb2 which will likely kick these Sonos blighters up the backside 

Just a warning to others here - Sonos has an issue in their apps that allow devices to be updated to firmware versions that are not compatible with the app version.  I had an older version of the app (from literally a day ago) and a device I was trying to add was updated to a NEWER firmware than the app supported so adding the device didn’t work. 

Cryptic errors.  An hour on hold with support.  Finally saw in the hidden web interface that the firmware version was newer on this device than my other ones.  After seeing this thread, it clicked.  I updated the app and everything worked again.

Bad design.  You should not be able to install a firmware version that is incompatible with the app that is installing it.  Software 101.

This release fixes the local network access loop I had on my iphone 14 Pro. At least I can now see first hand see all the missing features and bugs in this software, rather than just hear about them!

No devices on iPhone….

80.00.08 plus 16.2 brings back the new/edit Alarms BUT they do not work.

After many tests on many different hardware i could not bring it to work UNTIL i realized hoe abyssimal stupid the SONOS Devs actually are.

The Firmware makes the individual speakers to run on GMT / Zulu-Time-Zone.

The app is running on locale time and sends the Alarm settings verbatim as-is to the speaker.

There simply is missing the timezone-correction when the speaker gets its new alarm time.

Example: i am in Germany, which make me GMT+1 plus an additional 1 for daylight saving time.

An Alarm set to 10:00:00 (local AppTime which is 10am) triggers the Alarm at 12am locale time. …because 12am in Germany is 10am UTC

Tested with many different scenarios and timezones on the app-device.

If you think of the time entered in the app as UTC everything works great.

As a Software engineer with over 30 years of experience i am simply out of words how stupid this error is and how this could not even be detected on tests before releasing it. 

Updated to the latest release today. Still have issues

Cannot roam between homes without having to reconnect to system. Before you just had to open the app and it found the local system

Not able to change network settings for SonosNet Channel, no networks are shown. Old app still allows it to be seen and changed

NAS media library doesn’t work correctly, plays random tracks and the update index function is missing

Overall the app is clunky, hard to use, slow and far from intuitive. A very poor experience from what is supposed to be the premium brand in this space. 

Whilst there have been lots of “answers” to questions it is obvious this was not released through a properly implemented candidate release process. Please check out ITIL guys, you aren’t just providing hardware and software you are now an MSP and need to grow up.