Answered

Sonos App - SiriusXM

• 27 June 2023
  • 27 replies

Hello all - S2 App IOS / Version 15.5 / Build 73042060

The past few weeks, under SiriusXM, when I choose the “Live and Xtra Channels” option, I receive an error “Sorry, something went wrong.  Please try again”.  It will not load the channel line up.

However, I can at times still pull up channels based on recent or favorites and play successfully.

Thoughts on the issue and/or resolution?

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 27 June 2023, 14:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @MnPugsley, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Do you receive the same error message if you navigate through the SiriusXM app?

If you are able to reproduce this issue, I recommend you to submit diagnostics within 10 minutes of the error message occurring and then reach out to Sonos Support for some live troubleshooting.

Feel free to share the diagnostic number here as well, I can have a look and see if something weird pops out and advice accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Was this resolved? I have the same problem. 

I have the same problem now, too….Any updates on how to fix it?

same issue here.  happening with both android and ios devices.  looking for a solution/fix.

I had the same issues using the Sirius service on my Sonos. If you go into your Sonos services and “reauthorize” Sirius it may help. You will need your Sirius credentials to do this task but otherwise it's quick and easy. It just worked for me. 

Reauthorize through the Sonos app worked for me.  A relief!

I reauthorized SiriusXM through the Sonos App yesterday 10/31/23 and now today 11/1/23 when I try to browse the channels I get the message ‘Unable to play’. Something must have happened with a new update in Sonos? This issue is getting old for me with Sonos updates. Come on. 

I had the same problem.. The fix was to re-authorize the SiriusXM service.. Then I could browse “live and xtra channels”

Thank you, PlayVistaLee!  That worked for me, too!  I really appreciate the community here.

@Carol D I agree, it is getting old.  This has been going on for me for at least a week, probably longer.  I have reauthorized the SiriusXM service through the Sonos 2 controller on my pc, and it works for a while, but then back to not being able to browse the Sirius channels.  Some evenings I have reauthorized the service two or three times.  This has worked for us in the past without any issues at all, so something has changed.

Hello Sonos technical team, please look into this.

I believe somehow the connection communication between Sonos and SiriusXM is being dropped for some users. It is beyond the user having to reauthorize through the app. 

Thank you.

Same. though I can’t even do anything in the “manage” section. it’s completely unhighlighted.. so I can’t deauthorize Sirius..

Hi - just adding to this. Can confirm re-authorizing SiriusXM is a temporary fix before I start getting the “unable to play the selected item” error again and have to keep selecting the channel over and over again until it finally works. I’ve contacted Sonos about this and they seem to think it's a network issue - it isn’t. It's a service issue with SiriusXM. Other radio stations - via TuneIN, Apple Music, etc - play just fine and on the first selection.

SiriusXM - Live and Xtra Channels completely missing in the Sonos app.

Displays error message:

"Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."

Recents and Favorites are visible. But I can't find a full list of all XM channels in the Sonos app.

Problem is identical in both Android and iOS Sonos apps, registered to the same account.

I'll try to reauthorize and see if that fixes the issue...

@Macbaen, reauthorizing has been a temporary fix for me.  Sometimes I have reauthorized three times in the same evening.  I thought it was fixed last week, but we had problems again over this past weekend.  My husband and I typically use the Sonos 2 controller on our desktop pcs (both Windows 10), but we also have the Sonos controller on our phones (his iPhone and my Android).  Exact same issue as you are having, except for us, sometimes the Recents and Favorites don’t show up either!  We tend to listen to SiriusXM the most, so this has been really annoying.

@Macbaen, reauthorizing has been a temporary fix for me.  Sometimes I have reauthorized three times in the same evening.  I thought it was fixed last week, but we had problems again over this past weekend.  My husband and I typically use the Sonos 2 controller on our desktop pcs (both Windows 10), but we also have the Sonos controller on our phones (his iPhone and my Android).  Exact same issue as you are having, except for us, sometimes the Recents and Favorites don’t show up either!  We tend to listen to SiriusXM the most, so this has been really annoying.

Confirming that a reauthorization in the Sonos app restored the full list of channels, thank you!

Based on the experience of others, I’ll need to see how long this lasts (until I need to reauthorize again). But at least we have a temporary fix... Hopefully this gets corrected soon.

I am a Sonos Sirius XM listener for many years. Recently, I have repeatedly had this issue on two separate Sonos systems. Clearly this is a new issue and affecting a lot of users. Sonos Technical Support please resolve. 

Same issue.  Reauthorization hasn't worked.  We have this problem on an s1 and s2 Controler.

I have removed and reauthorized the SXM app but it still takes several attempts to get the stations to play. I have no problem with Spotify or Amazon music services. As I noted my earlier post, I have listened to Sirius on Sonos for many years without a problem until now. Call me a cynic, but I wonder if Sonos is trying to phase out Sirius to promote their own service?

I am having exactly the same issue as described by @Macbaen above. 

Temporary fixes aren't fixes, btw.

So are we just complaining to ourselves or does Sonos monitor these?  I feel like there is an obvious problem that is being ignored. 

While Sonos does have some forum moderators, it’s likely best to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system. And the ability to add your system’s data to the information they pass on about the issue. 

And, honestly, if the problem is at SiriusXM’s servers, which I suspect in this case it is, passing on that specific ‘this is the hard data which is being seen’, having stripped out any PID, is probably useful to the engineers at SiriusXM, since the Sonos engineers don’t have any access to the SiriusXM’s servers. 

Thanks for the feedback. I have actually spoken with Sonos and they have run diagnostics but their only solution was to remove the service and then reinstall. Not sure why Sirius would be the only platform with performance problems, but you would think the two companies would try to resolve. At a minimum they should communicate to users that a solution is on the way. 

SiriusXM (and others, too) host their own content, which your Sonos speakers reach out to get. None of that data lives on Sonos’ own servers. And most (maybe all?) of them use different servers that their own apps, perhaps to make it easier to track? Certainly the servers that Sonos contacts has the Sonos API running on it, so it interfaces properly with your Sonos controller. 

While Sonos could be providing data to SiriusXM, they may not have a lot of clout there, since there really isn’t a financial relationship. Sonos doesn’t pay them, they don’t pay Sonos. So you, as a paying customer of SiriusXM may have more ‘cloit’ with a complaint than any from Sonos, since you are a paying customer.