Answered

Sonos App Makes Soundcloud Useless

• 23 September 2019
  • 14 replies

After a year of using a set of Play 5's, the Sonos app with Soundcloud sucks. Soundcloud is all about music discovery and following threads of other people's likes and follows to find new music. That is not possible within the current framework of the Sonos app.

The current functionality is limiting to the point where I don't use Soundcloud anymore, instead just opting to play music through Spotify. Exploring soundcloud on the web through my computer speakers, and then switching to Sonos to play songs that I like is a joke considering I paid $1,000 for this setup.

Can we get an iFrame to the actual Soundcloud interface within the Sonos app or a real integration that allows me to play music form the Soundcloud web app? BECAUSE WHAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW DOES NOT WORK.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 September 2019, 16:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Soundcloud would need to add the API that Sonos has already made available to all of their partners on the Sonos partners page, which several have already implemented. Unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t have access to the SoundCloud source code for their app to add it themselves.

Perhaps you may want to contact SoundCloud directly regarding your dissatisfaction?
There’s a nice extension for the Chrome browser that lets you use the actual SoundCloud web site, while selecting songs to add to the Sonos queue and play them. It won’t discover your Sonos speakers due to some restrictions, so you just need to configure it with the IP address of the speaker you want it to play to (left speaker if a stereo pair).

Yes I'm also really disappointed by the sonos app. I have lots of playlists on YouTube and soundcloud, but when I open up the playlists on the sonos app half the songs are missing. 

Great sounding speaker but I always just have to use my echo plus instead. 

Would not recommend a sonos speaker until they sort out the app. Or better yet just be able to use the original youtube/soundcloud/Spotify apps to control the sonos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yes I'm also really disappointed by the sonos app. I have lots of playlists on YouTube and soundcloud, but when I open up the playlists on the sonos app half the songs are missing. 

Great sounding speaker but I always just have to use my echo plus instead. 

Would not recommend a sonos speaker until they sort out the app. Or better yet just be able to use the original youtube/soundcloud/Spotify apps to control the sonos 

So you’ve not read the thread then?  Try asking Soundcloud to offer this feature, the API is there for them to link into.   You can also use the Spotify app to control Sonos, as well as the Amazon music app. 

Thanks for your reply 

I have read the thread. Should I contact youtube and mixcloud aswell and ask them to add it too??? 

So many people are comaining of this issue and the sonos app.

Also does not explain why I can have (for example) 200 songs on my youtube playlist, I open this playlist up on the sonos app and there's only 70 songs there.

I have use the sonostube app which I had to pay for. 

Sonos can only display the information given them by the third party streamer. If there’s 200 songs in your YouTube playlist, and you’re only seeing 70 in the Sonos controller, then there’s some reason that YouTube isn’t handing the rest of them to Sonos.

Which is why I would not recommend a sonos speaker to friends/family 

Which is why I would not recommend a sonos speaker to friends/family 

Why blame Sonos?  They couldn’t change it if they wanted to, it is wholly upon the services to change the UI. 

It doesn't matter "who's to blame", the problems are there I would recommend sonos speakers for that reason.

Sonos could easily make the speakers have Bluetooth function and that would solve these issues 

It doesn't matter "who's to blame", the problems are there I would recommend sonos speakers for that reason.

Sonos could easily make the speakers have Bluetooth function and that would solve these issues 

One would think you would quit Soundcloud instead of Sonos.  I don’t blame Samsung when my cable goes out.  If one wishes to get something fixed, threatening the party that can actually fix it is far more effective, is it not? 

Who's threatening anyone. 

Soundcloud don't have to do anything, the soundcloud app works perfectly well. 

It's the sonos app that is poor, and because there's no Bluetooth function people are stuck with the sonos app. 

Quit soundcloud? I should I quit mixcloud and youtube music also then.

Who's threatening anyone. 

Soundcloud don't have to do anything, the soundcloud app works perfectly well. 

It's the sonos app that is poor, and because there's no Bluetooth function people are stuck with the sonos app. 

Quit soundcloud? I should I quit mixcloud and youtube music also then.

You didn't vow to never recommend Sonos to family and friends?  And as stated before, Soundcloud is responsible for their UI in the Sonos app.  Sonos cannot fix this, even if they wanted to.  Sonos only supplies the API, Soundcloud does the interface.

That's correct I didn't 'vow' to do anything. 

I simply said I wouldn't recommend a sonos speaker for the reasons listed above. 

I'm not sure why that bothers you, if you love your sonos then great. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

At least Sonos has soundcloud, I have kept one Sonos connect so I can play soundcloud through my hifi. 

It is not Sonos’ fault, at least you can play it, more than anyone else offers.