Sonos App is Complete Garbage - for mobile or desktop

• 2 September 2023
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1

Sonos speakers are great, but everything about the apps is garbage, and gets worse with each update.

Almost everyday, Sonos “forgets” where my library is. I have to go into settings and add the folder again, even though it is already there. Sometimes, I can just start playing something I played recently through the app, even though it says there’s no music library!

On the mobile app, when I search an artist, it can’t find the song files I have stored locally on my phone! I’ve checked permissions, I’ve updated… everything. For a while, I could fix this by toggling between new and classic search and now that doesn’t even work. 

This system is way too expensive for such * software.

If I find a better app that can work with these speakers I will absolutely never use Sonos apps again.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

34 replies

Since the ‘app’ is really running on the speakers, and not technically on your mobile or desktop, it’s not surprising that you’re seeing the same behaviours in both places. 

It seems as though you have some sort of network issue, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I must admit I am not a lover of the app either.

I read a few reviews where it said it was great but that is not my experience

I am in dolby atmos music and unless Sonos, Apple and Amazon improve the way we find that music it will stunt the growth of Atmos music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So it’s not the app you’re having problems with, it’s the software on the system. The app is just a remote to the system.

Since the powers that be [Google for Android, Apple for iOS) have forced the exclusion of “play from this device”, it’s not surprising that you're  having issues with local search and playback. You can still use Airplay2, if you’re on an iOS device, but Apple requires Atmos content to be sent to an Apple TV device, when using AirPlay 2 to a non-Apple device, the best you’ll get is stereo. Again, this is a restriction imposed by Apple, Sonos has to follow what parameters they are given.

Again, you’re experiencing network issues. Submit a diagnostic to Sonos, let them help you figure out what the issue is, and get it resolved. Ultimately, your Sonos system will be much easier to use. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos speakers are great, but everything about the apps is garbage, and gets worse with each update.

Almost everyday, Sonos “forgets” where my library is. I have to go into settings and add the folder again, even though it is already there. Sometimes, I can just start playing something I played recently through the app, even though it says there’s no music library!

On the mobile app, when I search an artist, it can’t find the song files I have stored locally on my phone! I’ve checked permissions, I’ve updated… everything. For a while, I could fix this by toggling between new and classic search and now that doesn’t even work. 

If I find a better app that can work with these speakers I will absolutely never use Sonos apps again.

The app is terrible and confirm it is absolutely NOT a network issue. Constantly does not recognize the other Sonos speakers. In the 6 months I have ARC and Sub Mini I have had to reset almost 20 times!!! I recently added the Move 2 and opened 12 suport tickets. Complete garbage app that is unstable and needs to be rewritten. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The app is terrible and confirm it is absolutely NOT a network issue. Constantly does not recognize the other Sonos speakers. In the 6 months I have ARC and Sub Mini I have had to reset almost 20 times!!! I recently added the Move 2 and opened 12 suport tickets. Complete garbage app that is unstable and needs to be rewritten. 

So you’re not asking for any help or suggestions about configuring your system to improve reliability? You’re just making your opinion known? 

I had problems too, many years ago. Advice given to me (and many others before and since the time of my troubles) fixed my system and has resulted in many years of trouble-free play since then. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

At this point I inclined to return it all because of the frustration. I have wasted too much time. 

@Seamur88,

6 months and you’ve reset your devices 20 times..? I haven’t reset my system for over 6 years, so you really must have problems that lie elsewhere - I suspect you may have a multicast device discovery issue across your network segments, or wireless interference, or quite probably both. I would maybe research those two things by searching the community here, as there are numerous ways to begin resolving those.

Wireless interference is usually less problematic to resolve, so perhaps start with that. Here is an initial document to maybe help get you started: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Userlevel 1
Badge

So you’re not asking for any help or suggestions about configuring your system to improve reliability? You’re just making your opinion known? 

I had problems too, many years ago. Advice given to me (and many others before and since the time of my troubles) fixed my system and has resulted in many years of trouble-free play since then. 

Obviously I am saying this after reading and trying different methods to resolve posted here. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Seamur88,

6 months and you’ve reset your devices 20 times..? I haven’t reset my system for over 6 years, so you really must have problems that lie elsewhere - I suspect you may have a multicast device discovery issue across your network segments, or wireless interference, or quite probably both. I would maybe research those two things by searching the community here, as there are numerous ways to begin resolving those.

Wireless interference is usually less problematic to resolve, so perhaps start with that. Here is an initial document to maybe help get you started: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Thank you Ken. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos app crashed again today and need to reinstall system again. Really not making this stuff up. I would want nothing better than to just listen to music but once again it fails.

Steps taken:

Checked network = ok 

Restarted router = ok

Checked internet connection = ok

Double-checked correct network (2.4ghz) = ok

Restarted android phone (s23 ultra) = ok

Reinstalled Sonos app = ok

Looking for system = cannot find it

last step of course is going back to pairing mode and starting all over. BUT WHY DO I NEED TO KEEP DOING THIS?!?!

Suggestions? 

Sonos app crashed again today and need to reinstall system again. Really not making this stuff up. I would want nothing better than to just listen to music but once again it fails.

Steps taken:

Checked network = ok 

Restarted router = ok

Checked internet connection = ok

Double-checked correct network (2.4ghz) = ok

Restarted android phone (s23 ultra) = ok

Reinstalled Sonos app = ok

Looking for system = cannot find it

last step of course is going back to pairing mode and starting all over. BUT WHY DO I NEED TO KEEP DOING THIS?!?!

You don’t. I never have, in 16 years. 

Your network is most likely the culprit. Possibly your phone, if it has software such as VPN installed.

If you’d like assistance I suggest you open a fresh topic, away from this rant thread. In that post you could describe your network in detail and how the Sonos system is connected.

Have to say, Sonos keeps needing to be reset. And it wont recognise Sonos One products unless they are connected via a cable, which is the polar opposite reason for buying a Sonos wireless product.

My ERA 300 is fine. The Sonos One speakers are not picked up by my network.

I have no VPN, no network issues and my phones are fine.

Any solution ideas gratefully recieved.

People rant because nothing should be this complicated!!

Not really enough information to give a single answer, but my guess is network issues of some kind. Most likely either wifi interference of some type, or possibly duplicate IP address issues, although normally the latter should be eventually cleared by settings on your router. Unfortunately, Sonos, being networked speakers, are dependent on the network they’re connected to. And there is little that Sonos can do to rectify the network itself.

You could certainly test the latter possibility by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then performing a reboot of your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. If that makes a material change in the situation, I’d encourage you to make that more permanent, by assigning reserved IP addresses in your router for the Sonos.

However, you might get better suggestions on how to ‘fix’ this issue if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 1

I used Sonos products for more than 3 years now. Had to reset them only once and that was after I took them to a family gathering (so they were on another wifi network). You definitely should contact support as this is not normal. Network issues can be very complicated. Obviously, Sonos would be out of business if everyone had your experience.

Btw My kids don’t like the app either, they play directly to my system from Spotify. And when I listen to Apple Classical I need to use Airplay2. So much options with Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have to say, Sonos keeps needing to be reset. And it wont recognise Sonos One products unless they are connected via a cable, which is the polar opposite reason for buying a Sonos wireless product.

My ERA 300 is fine. The Sonos One speakers are not picked up by my network.

I have no VPN, no network issues and my phones are fine.

Any solution ideas gratefully recieved.

People rant because nothing should be this complicated!!

Honestly don't even bother with Sonos support -- nice people but it wont help. I have opened 6 tickets and only had them partially resolved where it worked for a few days but then back to full reset. I have had great people here like Ken Griffiths try to help (and he has been amazing) but still no luck. I have the Arc and Sub Mini that I luckily connected to the TV when i last set up but weekly they are never recognized by the app. I am sick of seeing the message 'Unable to find your Sonos system. Let's fix it.' which never works. Now I just keep the Arc and Sub Mini settings as they are and use my TV remote for volume. As for my two Move 2's, i have given up ever getting those working together again. Useless as a pair because, as mentioned below, I only use as Bluetooth now because the Sonos app which can be setup as a stereo pair is lost connection weekly. For such expensive and amazing speakers the app is absolutely terrible. I begged them to rewrite with a new developer team but they never respond to me which tells me this is not a priority for them. I wish I could help but maybe the way I have them set up might be best for you too unfortunately 😞

BTW. insult to injury is the Black Friday deals they keep sending me. 🙄 

Userlevel 1

The foundation is a good network. Wireless networks are a pain. At work we have big problems with implementing one that needs to cover every spot and that’s with professional equipment and people…

At my former residence , I wouldn’t dare to use network speakers ( because of building materials at point of entry and network interference from 5 neighbours) Often I had better or only reception of neighbours wifi 😔. Also crappy solutions like wifi boosters/repeaters etc. wouldn’t work.

Even at my current location: as I am typing this, with the AP in the next room, network quality is already down one bar. on my terrace, like 10m from the AP, reception is very poor, it won’t work at all. 

where I can, I use cabled network on my Sonos equipment.

Any network device, including Sonos, is only as good as the network it is attached to. The vast majority of issues reported on these forums can be attributed to network issues. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Any network device, including Sonos, is only as good as the network it is attached to. The vast majority of issues reported on these forums can be attributed to network issues. 

While I appreciate this may be the case I think it would be fair to say very few of us purchase Sonos thinking we need to resolve network issues just to hear premium sound. There must be a better way to avoid these issues. 

While I appreciate this may be the case I think it would be fair to say very few of us purchase Sonos thinking we need to resolve network issues just to hear premium sound. There must be a better way to avoid these issues. 

A month back I suggested your network was the root cause of your woes. I see you opened a new thread, but to date it appears we still don’t have a clear description of your network structure. 

FWIW Sonos’ requirements are set out here

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It is pretty simple to avoid the WiFi issues, just wire everything and be done with the unreliable and shared with the neighbors and other devices WiFi mess.

I have an 11 zone Sonos system. Have been a Sonos user for over 15 years. Have “sold” Sonos to dozens of friends that have been at my house over the years… I was a fanboy. But the reality is that Sonos has software issues now and my user experience has been poor for a few years now. I don’t have network issues or anything else… so please don’t try to explain away my experience.
Sonos mesh network technology just hasn’t kept up with the proliferation of devices on a LAN. It is sad and I write this with disappointment. Former fan turned disappointed user. Bottom line is that your UX has fallen woefully behind. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Actually Sonos is discouraging use of their SonosNet mesh and recommending folks switch to WiFi, They even recently discontinued the Boost unit and released speakers that won’t connect to SonosNet.

And yet, I don’t have any issues with my 20+ Sonos speakers. I wonder what is different about our two setups. You certainly seem to be having issues that I am not. And yes, I still happen to use a BOOST for SonosNet, although my Roam sits on my WiFi network. 

Since the ‘app’ is really running on the speakers, and not technically on your mobile or desktop, it’s not surprising that you’re seeing the same behaviours in both places. 

It seems as though you have some sort of network issue, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Sonos confirmed it’s 100% not a network issue.

nothin wrong on the diagnostics test as well they said.

it’s weird how passive aggressive people are here.

too much brand loyalty, too much ignorance.