Answered

Sonos app (IOS) drops connection

• 31 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello all,
I’ve an issue with my Sonos Amp and my LTE 4G router/modem TP-link MR600. Hoping I’d get som advice here 🙏🏻

The Amp (wireless) gets its dynamic IP from the router but for some reason the Sonos app, which I’m told communicates with the router rather than the Amp, stops working along with the pop up “cannot connect to Sonos”.
Upon rebooting the router it all works for an hour or two and then it fails again.
The Sonos Amp is the only unit in the system.
I’ve no guest-network.
5Ghz is disabled 

Unfortunately the Sonos support stopped supporting when they learned I’m using an LTE modem, (fiber not available) as they cannot guarantee functionality for their products using 4G internet. I don’t quite buy that as the reason the app loses connectivity though. I do however realise that a combined modem/router like my TP-link MR600 may not be the best setup and that possibly a separate router would be preferred.

Any help or hints would be very appreciated 🙏🏻

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 January 2023, 15:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Fredrick 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

LTE is largely unsupported because atmospheric conditions can affect streaming reliability, though I have heard of LTE routers isolating devices from each other too - permanently, however, not only after an hour! Although unsupported, this does not mean LTE routers will not work - there are a few users here who use LTE with their Sonos system without serious issue.

Assuming your provider allows you to take your SIM card out of your current router and try it in another, I would perhaps just try another model - you can always get a refund if it doesn’t help, and the likely reason for you having LTE in the first place is due to options being limited, so it’s worth a try. The fact that everything works at first suggests the router is failing in some way - have you checked to see if it has a firmware update available? It could be a software issue (it sounds like a memory leak).

Alternatively, as you say, you could try connecting a second router to the first. I recommend not doing this unless you are comfortable with configuring routers. You will need to disable the DHCP server and WiFi on the LTE router and configure the second router to manually obtain an IP address. They should be connected via the second router’s Internet/WAN port.

Note that some providers will block the use of multiple devices on a single LTE connection, though if the SIM contract is meant for home broadband, this won’t be the case.

I hope this helps.