Answered

SONOS and T-Mobile Gateway

• 14 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I have changed my network connection to T-Mobile’s 5g gateway. I know Sonos doesn't connect to 5g. I have split my connection to 5g and 2.4g. I connected my phone to the T-Mobile 2.4g network. I used my phone to play music on the Sonos speakers and it worked. However, I am not able to adjust the volume or any other things on the Sonos app. Can this be done?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 January 2023, 11:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rickrock47 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You absolutely should be able to control the volume (and other settings, though full functionality has minimum software requirements) via the app.

I recommend a reboot of everything involved, though feel free to try one at a time until things work:

• reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds
  • reboot your speaker by switching it off for a moment - wait till WiFi is up-and-running before powering back on if doing it all at the same time
  • reboot your phone

If none of that helps, please try resetting the Sonos app - Settings » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset. Close the app and reopen it. When asked, choose to Connect to an Existing System, and log in with your existing account.

I hope this helps.

My issues started when I got T-mobile’s 5G gateway. Everything works fine for a while and then the connection is lost. I restart everything and everything works for a while and then drops. I really wish Sonos would fix these compatibility issues with T-mobile’s hardware. It seems that many people are having these issues. I save quite a bit of money using T-mobile so it’s disappointing that my Sonos One speakers and app cannot work properly on a T-mobile 5G system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RustinAndrews 

Sonos does not support the use of LTE routers of any kind - T-Mobile or not. That’s not to say they won’t work, however, but by their very nature, they are less reliable. Given this, it seems very unlikely that we would address compatibility issues with one LTE router in particular.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Corry P 

Just for your information I am using a 5g router in the UK on the three network and use eero pro 6 as my wifi 

I have had this setup for 18 months and have had no network issues at all in this time 

My speakers are on sonosnet mainly with the exception of my 2 moves and roams which use the wifi 

The moves work in my garden and I control all music with the sonos app never used airplay ever😊

When I had cable Internet it was always dropping out and had faults every other day why I moved to mobile Internet first 4g then 5g which both worked flawlessly.

Just my opinion but a network is just a network if setup correctly it should work

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @skullc 

Great - I’m glad to hear it! I did say that I wasn’t saying they wouldn’t work, just that they are not supported.

Thanks to your post, it has occurred to me that @rickrock47 & @RustinAndrews may be able to circumvent their T-Mobile issues by adding a mesh system (or just a second router), as the issues reported do sound like local issues unrelated to the actual internet connections. They would, of course, need to disable routing functions on their T-Mobile devices to prevent other issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Agreed my setup has main router disabled wifi but still has dhcp running with limited addresses.5 to.10 as i have to connect my xbox directly for port forwarding 
This has not caused any conflicts and I have reserved ip's for all my device's on the eero 6 
Bridge mode may work for others but not in my case👍

Nearly forgot to mention I got the eero system as the wifi on virgin media cable modem was awful 😊

Badge +2

Nearly forgot to mention I got the eero system as the wifi on virgin media cable modem was awful 😊

I had a more reliable connection to the spirit world than I ever had to the internet with that thing, and I am not even a psychic.

In fairness to Virgin, their modem was no less abysmal than the stock ones provided by Sky and BT! 🤦

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I had a more reliable connection to the spirit world than I ever had to the internet with that thing, and I am not even a psychic.

In fairness to Virgin, their modem was no less abysmal than the stock ones provided by Sky and BT! 🤦

Indeed most isp routers are 🤪