Answered

Sonos 1 controller will not update on my mac

• 2 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I have not been able to update what I think are the last two updates to the Sonos S1 controller on my macbook pro. I click on update now (in the black S1 pane), it does some things and requires my password. I do that and it says: Sonos update failed. An unexpected error occurred, please try again. And that happens every time. (So while the error is unexpected to Sonos, it is very much expected by me). This seems like a longlasting bug (several months). Is there a fix?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 October 2023, 22:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Try removing/uninstalling the App and reinstalling the latest S1 App from the Sonos official download site here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Then go onto connect back to your ‘existing’ local system and (if required) update the firmware on your Sonos devices.

If you’re a little sceptical about uninstalling/reinstalling the App, then you could also try this suggested fix…

MacOS Sonos controller App not updating…

Maybe try this … Authorise the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Once allowed, you should be able to use auto-update from the Sonos App itself.

Badge +3

Thanks for the tip. I enabled sonos as advised above and rebooted my laptop. But no change - it still complains about an unexpected error on install. I am wary of deleting the app and reinstalling because there is a danger that I end up without an app at all. (The current version does work, it’s just a couple of upgrades out of date...)

I’d think that danger extremely (less than 1%)  small. The only reason you could end up in that position is if your computer didn’t meet the supported OS for controllers FAQ. You might, in fact, merely rename the current version you’re running, and download the new version, and run it temporarily. If it didn’t work, you could delete the new version, rename the old, and likely run it still. 

But it’s certainly your decision. 

Badge +3

good point…

Badge +3

okay - that’s working. Strange through. And I had a similar problem with my spotify app - which thought I was not a paying customer. In both cases, delete and reinstall did the job. But that shouldn’t be necessary - it always bugs me when the regular route doesn’t work and you are left not knowing which 1’s and 0’s got in a muddle and why!
Anyway, thanks for your help.

Cheers

Tim.