Songs on phone just won't play through Sonos

• 28 October 2020
  • 3 replies

New android phone.  I’ve copied music files onto phone, and can play them without problem using the built-in audio player.  Inside Sonos, when I browse songs “on this mobile device”  I see the songs (files).  I click on any file, and a message pops up from inside Sonos indicating ‘song name’ is no longer available on ‘phone model number’.  Replace ‘song name’ with any song I select, and replace ‘phone model’ with the long phone name.  I just don’t understand.  I’ve done a chmod of the files to make sure they are permissioned as readable by all.  Please don’t suggest things like keeping the music library on my old phone.  I want to trash the old phone.  The only solution I’m looking for will allow me to store the music files on my new phone and play them on my Sonos system (which the new phone can see).  Note that I can easily control my various speakers through the new phone if the music being played has been queued up from the storage location on my old phone.  But that won’t be a viable option once I put a hammer to the old phone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @failing.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Audio files downloaded to your Android device can be played on your Sonos system using the Sonos app.

• Make sure that your new Android device is fully up to date as well as the Sonos app.
  • Make sure your audio files are in a format supported by Sonos.
  • Place your downloaded audio files in the Music folder on your Android device. If your audio files are not in the Music folder they will not appear in the Sonos app.
  • Make sure the music is stored in the root music folder and not on an SD card.
  • Ensure the Android Storage Permission is granted for Sonos ( Sonos->Manage Android Settings -> Permissions->Storage)

When playing tracks from your Android device, it needs to stay powered on and connected to your network.

If the device goes offline, other Sonos apps will show an error message if they try to play Android tracks that are still in your queue.

If that Android device is no longer available, clear out its tracks from the queue to prevent any further errors.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as "failing".

I have gone through your advice and just can't play any song despite complete visibility.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Dpcb.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs and provide us with the confirmation number, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Alternatively, it might be best to reach out to Sonos Supportso we can take a closer look at this in real-time and expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.