Skip to main content
Answered

Some specific Podcasts not working on Pocketcasts on Sonos

• 15 August 2023
  • 9 replies

I listen to podcasts on my Sonos all the time, using Pocketcasts. The vast majority of the podcasts work fine, but for whatever reason I cannot get Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast or Sarah Silverman's podcast to play on my Sonos system. I can play them on Pocketcasts on my phone, it's only when I use the Sonos app to play them that they don't work. Sonos is going to blame Pocketcasts, Pocketcasts is going to blame Sonos. How do I listen to these two podcasts like I can the other 20 I subscribe to?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I think the only knowledge Sonos has here is to go to PocketCast’s server, and provided whatever content they are presented with. To my knowledge, they do no filtering / choosing of what data to present to you, that’s all on PocketCasts. Have you contacted them?

Yes. They said to ask Sonos.

Interesting. I wonder why? 

Everything plays fine from the Pocketcast app. Those specific podcasts only don't play when I try to listen to them on Sonos.

I’m seeing the issue too with Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast FWIW. I would have thought though it was a Pocket Casts issue as they are responsible for the data they provide to the Sonos API - other podcasts I tried are working okay.

Diagnostic Report: 1099452473

To my knowledge, PocketCasts uses a different server to feed the Sonos connection, likely for tracking purposes, but that could be why it’s exposed on their own app, but not through Sonos. 

It's exposed - it shows up in the New Release list on Sonos, the name and icon are there. Sonos sees it, it just doesn't play it. Same on both the Sonos  Android app and the Windows app.

It's exposed - it shows up in the New Release list on Sonos, the name and icon are there. Sonos sees it, it just doesn't play it. Same on both the Sonos  Android app and the Windows app.

Some kind of (read) ‘permission’ issue on the Pocket Casts server would be my guess… they need to change it to give access to Sonos users, perhaps?

Certainly worth submitting a diagnostic to Sonos, and calling them with the particular names of the podcasts, as well as notifying PocketCasts themselves. Just not convinced there is a lot that Sonos can do, since they don’t control what is exposed to their client.