Skip to main content
Answered

Some Apple Music playlists not visible on Sonos app

• 4 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Having an issue with Apple Music playlists not visible within the Sonos app, I’ve tried removing Apple Music from services and adding back to no avail - could anyone recommend how this might be fixed?

TIA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @PATSON, welcome to the Sonos Community!

This depends where the playlists are stored. If the playlists are saved on the Apple Music service, then you should be able to use them when you add the service to your system. Removing the service and adding it back would also be my suggestion, but as it didn’t work, I would suggest reaching out to our support team for further assistance.

If the playlists are saved on your phone then Sonos wont be able to access these, but if they’re saved on a computer and added to Sonos as a Music Library, then you’ll also want to point Sonos to the XML file or create an XML file if one wasn’t automatically created.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In my experience, Apple Music “Smart Playlists” are not available within the Sonos app. All others I see.

Thanks for your replies. The playlists were once there but now no longer. They’re standard playlists and not smart ones. Another thing to note which may help is that some of the songs in the playlist aren’t now available for whatever reason. These tracks were originally ripped from CD and most likely replaced with versions from iTunes Match which adds another frustration

We created some regular (non-smart) playlists in our Apple Music Library and the Sonos 2 app read them fine on our computers, iPads, and iPhone for 4 months. Then starting in January they disappeared from the Sonos 2 App on all platforms with the message “We’ve run into a problem. Try again.” which, of course ludicrous because trying again fixes nothing. No error code. Nothing to indicate the problem. No alert from Sonos they are aware and working on it. Nothing. Artists, Albums, and Songs in our library are still fully accessible. Spotify Playlists are accessible on all platforms but they make it much more cumbersome to get to our user-generated playlists. The simplest explanation is the most likely: Apple tweaked the playlist format in a Sonoma macOS update and the Sonos 2 App has not been updated to read the changed format. Whether it is an Apple communication or a Sonos development issue is unknown. While this is likely to happen from time to time, 2 months of being broken is well-beyond reasonable. Both disappoint on customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The “we’ve run into a problem” issue on Apple Playlists is covered in this thread:

Other Apple Music playlist issues described here are likely unrelated.