Skip to main content

Solution to using smbv1 with S1 controller

• 11 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi! I found my solution to having several Sonos devices still on the S1 controller and needing a smbv1 Nas device to share my music library. Finding a current router based nas or a current nas with out of the box support for smbv1 seemed fruitless short of spending more than I wanted, so the low cost alternative was to build one myself using a raspberry pi 4 with a USB attached drive and running open media vault, which allows setting smb to v1. Definitely not secure to put accessible from the internet,  but secure enough for my home network. 

Streaming from it to my sonos devices is back!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @DesertMaus, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for sharing this solution and I’m glad you’ve found something that works for you. I’m sure it will be helpful for other users who are in a similar position.

While I agree that it’s not secure enough for the internet, as long as your home network is secure you shouldn’t run into any issues.