Skip to main content

so dissapointed.

This new app has rendered my six speaker system completely useless.  I’ve rebooted, reinstalled, unplugged so many times I just want to throw it all away.  How can a company be this careless with their customers?  Never again.  

60 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Streaming movies is no problem. I also do training for hundreds of people via Zoom and never have issues. 

Okay. Have you checked recently for any Sonos App firmware updates? Did the grouped AirPlay playback work?

AirPlay works. System update shows my system is up to date. I always check after downloading the weekly app updates. 

When I use AirPlay, I can group, in group, regroup with no problem.  How can it be anything other than the app?  I am very disappointed with Sonos. I know I have spent over 25 hours troubleshooting to achieve “Effortless Listening” since I was forced into this app.  How is this going to be resolved?  How much more time do I have to spend on this?  At what point is it declared unfixable, and then what?  Sonos is not compensating me (I have already asked) and they say they won’t take speakers back. Ken, I guess I am stuck with this mess. Brian

I don’t personally think it’s the Sonos App Brian as the App is not a music player - it’s just a ‘remote’ control for your speakers. As an example, you could group your speakers - start the music and close the App and even power off your iPhone and the music will still play. The early indications to me are it’s the WAN connection isn’t coping with the lossless streaming - but I’m happy to not give up and I have a few things still to try, but I’m conscious of the time you’ve spent on this already…

If you’re up for it, then this is what I would suggest next…

If your problems continue - then two further things…

1. First just let me know the routers DHCP servers lease time for IP addresses and… 
  2. Let’s perhaps just try WiFi channel 1 for the routers 2.4Ghz band

After changing the channel - let the router reboot and also I’m going to suggest you power-cycle every Sonos speaker (one at a time) to ensure they switch WiFi channel too - sorry that’s a real pain to do, but it will ensure their channel switches over to Channel 1

If that doesn’t work them I’m as much at a loss as Sonos Support -  because there’s no obvious reasons other than perhaps the WAN connection that stand out to me as to why it shouldn’t work from everything you have described so far here. I guess we could enable QoS on the router too and see if that might help, but in most cases that is usually left disabled… meanwhile I’m going to go look at your router user manual and see if that may yield anything. 

By the way @blreindl, is there any (ISP provided) device (bridged router/modem) situated before the Nighthawk RAX54 v2?

I’m just posting this link here for reference - Netgear Nighthawk Router RAX54 v2 User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX54S/RAX54S_UM_EN.pdf

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

When I use AirPlay, I can group, in group, regroup with no problem.  How can it be anything other than the app?  I am very disappointed with Sonos. I know I have spent over 25 hours troubleshooting to achieve “Effortless Listening” since I was forced into this app.  How is this going to be resolved?  How much more time do I have to spend on this?  At what point is it declared unfixable, and then what?  Sonos is not compensating me (I have already asked) and they say they won’t take speakers back. Ken, I guess I am stuck with this mess. Brian

I don’t personally think it’s the Sonos App Brian as the App is not a music player - it’s just a ‘remote’ control for your speakers. As an example, you could group your speakers - start the music and close the App and even power off your iPhone and the music will still play. The early indications to me are it’s the WAN connection isn’t coping with the lossless streaming - but I’m happy to not give up and I have a few things still to try, but I’m conscious of the time you’ve spent on this already…

1. First just let me know the routers DHCP servers lease time for IP addresses and… 

After changing the channel - let the router reboot and also I’m going to suggest you power-cycle every Sonos speaker (one at a time) to ensure they switch WiFi channel too - sorry that’s a real pain to do, but it will ensure their channel switches over to Channel 1

If that doesn’t work them I’m as much at a loss as Sonos Support -  because there’s no obvious reasons other than perhaps the WAN connection that stand out to me as to why it shouldn’t work from everything you have described so far here. I guess we could enable QoS on the router too and see if that might help, but in most cases that is usually left disabled… meanwhile I’m going to go look at your router user manual and see if that may yield anything. 

Thanks, Ken. I will try it tomorrow.  My first router did not work with Sonos even though the website says works with any router. It was a Spectrum router that could not separate 2.4 and 5 bands. So, I went to Costco and bought this Nighthawk 6.  What about the new app messed up the router?  This started with the new app. I need to give this a rest tonight. Brian

Thanks, Ken. I will try it tomorrow.  My first router did not work with Sonos even though the website says works with any router. It was a Spectrum router that could not separate 2.4 and 5 bands. So, I went to Costco and bought this Nighthawk 6.  What about the new app messed up the router?  This started with the new app. I need to give this a rest tonight. Brian

Yeah some spectrum routers are problematic. I’ve only come across the nighthawk routers being problematic for Sonos when they have paused or blocked a device… the instructions to clear those things are (from my notes) just for future reference….

Resolution - via routerlogin.net

1. Navigate to http://routerlogin.net/
  2. Sign in using the router's administrator username and password.
  3. Click on the Advanced tab.
  4. From the side bar menu, navigate to Security > Access Control (see image below).
  5. Locate the blocked Sonos component in the list showing in the middle of the page (as shown in the image below).
  6. Add a checkmark on the checkbox on the right of the blocked device.
  7. Click on Allow, then the Apply button above.  

Resolution - via the NightHawk app

1. Launch the NightHawk mobile app.
  2. Tap on Device Manager.
  3. Locate the paused Sonos device.
  4. Slide ball switch to the right to unblock the device.

Once completed, the Sonos Player will be able to connect, register, update, or stream. You may need to reboot the affected Sonos component(s).

——————

Anyhow let’s call it a day - perhaps try the other things I mentioned (changing channel) another day and let me know how you get on… 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello Ken:

1. I cannot find any information on lease times  after doing an internet search, it seems like Netgear does not allow that to be changed and it doesn’t say how long they have set for that.
  2. I followed the produce for changing to channel number 1 with no difference. At one point the app showed music playing everywhere and the timer for the song was moving, but no sound anywhere.

The engineered emailed me yesterday  I have been sending diagnostics for the past week with descriptions of the problem at the time it was happening.  He found, after reviewing them, that I need to first ungroup all the speakers and then start playing music with just the roam.  After that I can add on speakers, it is just that the Roam needs to be the lead for wherever else I want to play.  I am to monitor the system and send diagnostics if that doesn’t work.

Hello Ken:

1. I cannot find any information on lease times  after doing an internet search, it seems like Netgear does not allow that to be changed and it doesn’t say how long they have set for that.
  2. I followed the produce for changing to channel number 1 with no difference. At one point the app showed music playing everywhere and the timer for the song was moving, but no sound anywhere.

The engineered emailed me yesterday  I have been sending diagnostics for the past week with descriptions of the problem at the time it was happening.  He found, after reviewing them, that I need to first ungroup all the speakers and then start playing music with just the roam.  After that I can add on speakers, it is just that the Roam needs to be the lead for wherever else I want to play.  I am to monitor the system and send diagnostics if that doesn’t work.

Well it’s got me baffled as ‘on paper’ it all looks perfectly okay to me and should work without a problem - but I guess it’s best to stick with Sonos’ own advice and carry on with their Engineer.

Did they ever get you to factory reset your router by the way? I’m just wondering if that maybe a part of the issue here.. that’s assuming you use it with its default settings? Anyhow don’t do it at this point in time, I was just wondering if the Engineer had perhaps already tried that step with you?

I hope you can get the matter sorted @blreindl, let me know how things turn out in the end. Oh and if they do fix things, then try to find out what it was that was causing the problem, as it might be helpful to others here too, perhaps?🤔 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello Ken:

Well it’s got me baffled as ‘on paper’ it all looks perfectly okay to me and should work without a problem - but I guess it’s best to stick with Sonos’ own advice and carry on with their Engineer.

Did they ever get you to factory reset your router by the way? I’m just wondering if that maybe a part of the issue here.. that’s assuming you use it with its default settings? Anyhow don’t do it at this point in time, I was just wondering if the Engineer had perhaps already tried that step with you?

I hope you can get the matter sorted @blreindl, let me know how things turn out in the end. Oh and if they do fix things then try to find out what it was that was causing the problem as it might be helpful to others here too, perhaps?🤔 

Ken, none of the three different engineers have not had me factory reset the router.  There is a link in another thread to a LinkedIn post with someone speculations on the problem when Sonos switched the way the speakers communicate. It seems like my Sonos One SL speakers may not have enough memory to carry out requests such as changing volume or changing groups. Apparently, it now takes many more bits of information to carry it out. So, if that is the case, the problem is because of the app. Should a customer have to do so much work like this to get a product working?  The system does not work as advertised, and most reputable companies take product back when they don’t work. I realize the actual speakers work, but the controller does not. The controller was forced on me, so it is not my fault I can no longer control the speakers as they were advertised when I bought them and as they continue to be advertised.   
Thanks for your time and attempts; I appreciate it and will keep you posted. Brian

Ken, none of the three different engineers have not had me factory reset the router.  There is a link in another thread to a LinkedIn post with someone speculations on the problem when Sonos switched the way the speakers communicate. It seems like my Sonos One SL speakers may not have enough memory to carry out requests such as changing volume or changing groups. Apparently, it now takes many more bits of information to carry it out. So, if that is the case, the problem is because of the app. Should a customer have to do so much work like this to get a product working?  The system does not work as advertised, and most reputable companies take product back when they don’t work. I realize the actual speakers work, but the controller does not. The controller was forced on me, so it is not my fault I can no longer control the speakers as they were advertised when I bought them and as they continue to be advertised.   
Thanks for your time and attempts; I appreciate it and will keep you posted. Brian

I’m not sure about the memory is this instance - it appears to have the same amount of memory/storage as the much (much) larger Sonos Five. That’s according to this chart (below) …and a standalone Five is ‘stereo’ too, compared to a mono Sonos One SL 🤔?