Skip to main content
Sticky Question

sleep timer missing on new app

Why have Sonos removed the sleep timer function in the new App . This makes my speaker useless to me. 
   Waiting for a response from Sonos but if nothing forthcoming I will have to ditch it and change brands as I use it all the time. 

if you’re having the same issues please email Sonos as well, the more that do should hopefully make them take some action !! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/sonos-16-1-android-apk-download/

Here is an old Version of the sonos app that still has the sleep timer turn off auto update in Playstore to be safe

Bad Job from Sonos on the new App.if an update is an downgrade that an update i dont want to have…

And leave a bad review on in the AppStore where you list all features your now missing.

Hopefuly they listen and make an actual good update that not a downgrade

Why have Sonos removed the sleep timer function in the new App . This makes my speaker useless to me. 
   Waiting for a response from Sonos but if nothing forthcoming I will have to ditch it and change brands as I use it all the time. 

if you’re having the same issues please email Sonos as well, the more that do should hopefully make them take some action !! 

I realised that you can use the alarm function as a sleep timer! On the Settings  tab under Manage. So pleased and don’t know why Sonos haven’t  made notification of this. 

I realised that you can use the alarm function as a sleep timer! On the Settings  tab under Manage. So pleased and don’t know why Sonos haven’t  made notification of 

My iPad’s Sonos App is still the old one with “Sleep Timer” function - Did NOT Work ! I woke up 2 days where music has been playing the whole night ! 

A revamp of UI should have kept all the existing feature.

How is the timer set in new app? By this I mean the shut off timer so a program or station play for a designated time period.

You can use the Alarm function instead.

For example set alarm for 23:15 add the source fto

Sonos favourites and set timer for 30 mins and it will play and then turn off. 

Userlevel 1

This is how businesses get destroyed overnight! One stupidity from some “C” level person can bring the whole company under. Which company has ever released software with lesser features than the version before? What did the person in charge think? That we would not notice? We suffered with a terrible interface for years (you could never find what you needed twice in a row!) and now they rushed to release a version that is subpar? Can someone from SONOS explain why? What was the harm in waiting for the completed application?

I was about to buy more SONOS speakers for other rooms, but I’d better start looking for alternate solutions. I don’t need yet another set of very expensive bricks.

Userlevel 1

BTW, the desktop (Windows) app is broken too. Connection to any service is now no longer valid. The songs I have on my PC can no longer be accessed by Sonos. Wonderful job, Sonos! Thank you for screwing everything up.

Sonos has gone from having a tagline of

”Effortless listening”

to “Don’t bother at night time listening”. 

This is such a basic feature that it makes you wonder how they regressed. 

i own 7 Sonos products and I am a fan but this is so disappointing. 

So now I’d rather play on my phone than use Sonos at night. Surely that is no reward for investing in the high quality sound products when a customer would then rather use their phone. 

please bring back as soon as possible. 

I also sent a note to the CEO address. I groaned when I saw they were releasing an “upgrade“ knowing that almost always means a good app ruined. Sure enough. I’ve been throwing down my phone in frustration. But not including the basic sleep timer feature is just developer blindness! Now we have to wait for future updates just to use the features we’ve been relying on every day? 

BTW, the desktop (Windows) app is broken too. Connection to any service is now no longer valid. The songs I have on my PC can no longer be accessed by Sonos. Wonderful job, Sonos! Thank you for screwing everything up.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

How is the timer set in new app? By this I mean the shut off timer so a program or station play for a designated time period.

apart from the fact that I have to set a higher time than the current one, activate the alarm and wait for it to go off. If I decide to switch to something else, the sleep timer remains, I think the alarm is interrupted, if I decide how I could do with the sleep timer a change of duration I could set it at any time, with the alarm no.

Shocking - furious after spending thousands of pounds kitting out my house with Sonos got them to rollout a new app that is crap and more difficult to use.  To not have the alarm or sleep function is a huge step backward.  Did you consult at all with your end user?! It’s a proper deterioration- You’ve massively slipped down customer satisfaction - I’ve fallen out of love with Sonos.  Will not recommend. So frustrating 

Userlevel 1

So, something that would take me a second to do now is a 10-step process. BTW, I tried it. Poorly written. One slip of the finger and everything you entered is lost and you have to start over. 

Very unimpressed... my bedroom speaker now useless 

I'm also very unimpressed with the new update but I was able to use the app from an older device and that device still retained the older app and the sleep timer function.

Bring back asap!!!! Used every night 

I didn’t read all of the comments on this thread so I’m not sure if this has been said already, but while we wait for it to be added back into the new app, the Sonos voice Assistant will start a sleep timer for you.  

SLEEP TIMER PLEASE. 

Actually I’d prefer the first, original, old software.  Version one, numero uno. 

It was clean, intuitive and worked perfectly.  Since then, all updates are full of glitches.  I would reconsider this purchase if I didn’t have thousands invested.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not having a sleep timer is a game ender for me. I won't use Sonos until it is returned

Userlevel 1

Not having a sleep timer is a game ender for me. I won't use Sonos until it is returned

I agree! I am doing the same thing!

New procedure to play music to drift off to sleep (1+ times every night):

1) open Apple Music app to link Sonos through Apple Play;

2) open Sennheiser app to play at better sound quality;

3) open Clock app to set timer.

Plus lower sound quality since I used to play Sonos via NAS.

Thanks Sonos (sarcastically). 

Amazing they removed the best part of this app! I used the sleep function all the time! Please bring it back!

Ich finde den sleeptimer in der neuen App nicht mehr. Playlists über Spotify können per sleeptimer beendet werden, nicht aber wenn sie über sonos angespielt werden.  Wird das noch angepasst?

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

I can no longer find the sleep timer in the new app. Playlists via Spotify can be ended using the sleep timer, but not if they are played via sonos. Will this still be adjusted?

I just sent a note to the CEO. This is totally unacceptable. I use the alarm daily and it’s missing too. 

if you feel th same and are inclined to write, it’s ceo@sonos.com

At least give a warning and a path back to the previous app. 

Just sent email to CEO.  This is simply nuts!  Shows a total disregard for how customers use the app. 

I realised that you can use the alarm function as a sleep timer! On the Settings  tab under Manage. So pleased and don’t know why Sonos haven’t  made notification of this. 

How can you use the alarm function as a sleep timer?

Ich dachte zum 21.5 mit dem Update wird der Sleep Timer wieder eingeführt, ich bin enttäuscht und fordere Sonos auf , diesen Fehler umgehend zu beheben.