Answered

SiriusXM doesn't play early morning

• 1 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Sonos is unable to play SiriusXM stations in the early morning.  Later in the morning and the rest of the day its no problem.   WTF?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 November 2023, 16:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Twincaman 

Thanks for your post!

I gather this is happening each morning, and not just once?

The next time it happens, please submit a support diagnostic immediately, and then, at your convenience, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

OK.   Just submitted it.   Time here in FL is 0645 and the confirmation number is below.

Your confirmation number is: 1846701086

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

269051093     Confirmation from iPhone app

first one was from PC.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Twincaman 

I do recommend you contact your local technical support team, but if you want me to look into it, I’m going to need some more information - like which room I should be looking at, and at what time you tried to play. Thanks.

Same issue here lately.  It is often a fight to get SiriusXM live channels to play on Sonos, esp after some time has passed without using the system. Almost never plays from "Recently Played" menu but sometimes will by browsing the music service itself. Have removed and added the service a couple times, signed in and out, usually helps. Have even found that if I play Pandora for a little while, can then play a live Sirius station. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CJC_76136 

As I understand it (though I live in the UK and have no access to SiriusXM whatsoever), the URLs to SiriusXM channels are not static, so when they change, it makes sense that the recorded URLs in Recently Played no longer work. As to why they change in the first place, I do not know.

I recommend you too get in touch with our technical support team - if the issue is local to your system, they’ll be able to assist you. In addition, your local team will have the option of testing the same station on their kit, which I cannot do. If, however - and as I suspect - the issue is not local, there may be nothing that can be done, short of contacting SiriusXM directly.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Corry

all rooms and early AM.    6-8 AM.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Twincaman 

Thanks for the info. I can’t say for sure why you have different experiences at different times of the day, but I do have a few pointers for you:

With your Bedroom speaker connected via ethernet, it is acting as the hub for your Sonos system’s connectivity (barring the Move, which connects to WiFi). I can see that you have grouped your speakers together with the Office listed first - this means it is in charge of fetching the music and distributing it to the other rooms. So, the music stream enters your home via your router, goes to Bedroom, gets transmitted to Office, and Office either sends directly to the other rooms, or sends back to Bedroom for it to be distributed further. As you can no doubt tell just by reading all this, it’s inefficient.

In future, please create any group that contains Bedroom such that Bedroom is in charge - that is, select Bedroom first, then group the other speakers to it. This will cut down on unnecessary network traffic, making grouped playback more stable in general.

I can also see some interference near the Bedroom speaker - as it’s the hub for your system, this can affect all players other than Move. I recommend a read of our Reducing wireless interference help page, then an examination of what is near the Bedroom speaker. Please move any devices that could be a source of interference at least 1m (3 feet) away from the Play:3 there - if one of these is the router, this is especially important. Note also that a metal or glass surface immediately next to a speaker may show as interference as the radio signal reflects of the surface.

Your SonosNet channel is 6, while your WiFi channel (plus the 2 extenders) is 2 - these channels overlap, and as a result, interfere with each other. Ideally, I recommend moving your WiFi channel to 1 on the three devices, but if you’re unsure how, you could move SonosNet over to channel 11 instead (only channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap). Change SonosNet channel by going to Settings » System » Network » SonosNet Channel, but only when all speakers are visible in the app.

If you keep your phone near the Play:3 when sleeping, this may well be the reason the issue only manifests when it’s early in the morning.

I hope this helps.