SiriusXM channels not listing in latest Sonos App... sonos and sirius pointing fingers at each other...

• 9 February 2024
  • 50 replies

Userlevel 1

I spent 2 hours this morning with Sonos and SiriusXM trying to resolve an issue with how SiriusXM channels are displayed in the Sonos App. After the usual stuff (uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, etc...) Sonos ran a screen share and could clearly see that the Sirius channels are not being displayed properly. Sirius claims that this issue is on the Sonos end. To their credit, Sonos did temporarily log into their Sirius test account (via screenshare) within my Sonos app and their Sirius stations were displaying.

Sirius seems to think this is an issue with how Sonos is handling the channel lineup info being delivered to them from Sirius. Seems right to me although that doesnt fully explain why the Sonos test account worked but my account didnt. Anyway, after numerous call backs I got tired of helping two large companies solve problems that they should be able to do without irritating their customers are wasting our time.

Next step is to consider an alternative way to power my music at home. Not sure Sonos is worth the aggravation.

50 replies

I noticed this yesterday on my system and I did the same basic troubleshooting and stopped at calling them. I get Hits 1 and the Pandora station but everything else is grayed out.   I hope they fix it soon.  I’m in the Apple ecosystem so I think the easiest work around for me would be to airplay from the SiriusXM App to all speakers, or 1 and group the all in the others in the Sonos app.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have the same issue and experienced exactly the same scenario as TA AB. Sonos support was excelllent. Sirius, not so much: The account rep to whom I spoke mumbled something about an upgrade scheduled to go in effect on February 10 that would fix the issue. It’s now February 11; no fix in sight.

The fact that the Sonos test account worked but mine did not tells me that there is something faulty about my account info that Sirius is passing to Sonos in the authorization process. Perhaps the Sirius ‘upgrade’ (if in fact it occurred) was intended to fix that -- if so, if failed.

And here’s some further evidence (albeit circumstantial) that the problem lies with Sirius. I sat in my car and requested a radio refresh from Sirius. I was actually listening to one of my Sirius preset channels -- but the refresh process said ‘it looks like’ I don’t have a valid Sirius account, and suggested that I subscribe. In actual fact, my account is fully paid.

I’ll be circling back to Sirius on this issue. I’m pretty sure the problem is on their end.

Same problem, also tried re-authorizing, deleting app, etc. but still only see Channel 1 Hits and Pandora, the rest are grey. Fortunately, I had favorited some stations before this latest Sonos update and I am still able to access those so SXM seems to be seeing my account is valid however I can’t see any of the other channels or on-demand shows. Frustrating.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same for me regarding Sirius stations flagged as Favorites under My Sonos. Thank heaven for that much...

Same issue here.  Happens on Android App and well as Mac desktop app.  Would really like a fix.

What a pain!  Sirius install/uninstall  - same issue - only 2 channels available - the rest are greyed out.

Can play through siriusxm app and Airplay - but not ideal.

Same here...been through the runaround with SiriusXM, and they say they are escalating it to corporate and they will call me back in 2 days...

Same here as everyone above.   We have Sonos throughout the house and garage and I only have 3 stations.   Tried uninstalling....reinstalling.....reauthorzing....    On 3 devices too.  One Android and 2 Apple.   I'm quite annoyed.   If anyone has any luck PLEASE post!!!  

Update:  I got a call back, but the person didn’t have much (any?) more expertise than the reps I talked to first. She was going to have me do the same “log out, log in, remove and reinstall SiriusXM on Sonos”, etc.  

She asked me to install the SiriusXM app, which I reluctantly did (too many apps and I won’t use) to show that the channels do appear there. 

She tried to tell me I could stream from the SiriusXM app to Sonos and that would be a solution, but I rejected that because I’d have to stream to a unit that can receive airplay (not my SonosAmp and SonosConnect units for my whole house audio) and then join the zones I want in, and it would occupy my phone, so that’s not a good solution.

She said she would escalate and I’d get a call back, but I got the vibe that I shouldn’t hold my breath…

Well see…I may cancel SiriusXM since Sonos is the main place I use it.  Hopefully they’ll solve first.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve been contacted for information several times by SiriusXM support, most recently yesterday, when they informed me that the issue has been sent to their engineering dept. On the Sonos side, no further word, but I believe that there, too, it has been escalated to engineering.

So here’s how I’m now looking at this: there is some sort of information interchange that has to occur when I authorize SiriusXM as a streaming service on Sonos. (How else would Sonos know which SiriusXM channels my plan provides access to?) SirusXM appears to have recently revamped/updated its channel offerings and plans. Somewhere along the line, the authorization process has gotten out of sync, and Sonos can no longer tell which channels are ‘live’ in my SiriusXM account. This could be because the authorization process is passing corrupted account into (SiriusXM ‘at fault’), or because the authorization process doesn’t know how to interpret correct but newly revised account info (Sonos ‘at fault’).

So now, as TA AB originally said, we seem to have a classic case of each side saying the blame lies with the other. I can only hope the effort eventually ends up with human beings actually talking to one another.

If you read the Sonos partners page, you’ll find that Sonos displays data sent to them through the SMAPI (Sonos Music Application Programming Interface) that is sent by the SiriusXM server, without any parsing. It’s up to the streaming company (SiriusXM) to send the appropriate data through SMAPI, which is why most (all?) streaming companies set up specific servers/endpoints for Sonos to get data from. 

To my knowledge, there has been no changes to the SMAPI, which all streaming companies use to communicate with your Sonos. This means the changes that SiriusXM have done on their servers has ‘broken’ the data being sent to your Sonos controllers, and SiriusXM needs to fix it. 

You’ll note that no other streaming company is experiencing this issue. 

I have the same problem. Sirius plays perfectly in the app on my phone, in my car, and streaming on my LG tv. On my Sonos, blocks of channels do not appear. For example, while channels 2 thru 29 are unavailable, channels 70 thru 79 are available. 

This is clearly a Sonos problem. Either they got a bad file from Sirius, or have a corrupt file on their server, or whatever, they should be able to figure it out. This isn't rocket science. 

The data doesn’t live on a Sonos server. 

i have same issue. Sirius XM channels all greyed out except for channel 2 and 3…

can still play sirius Xm channels from sonos favorites that were added before…

any solutions would be appreciated

I know someone who is having trouble on a home system that claims to support SIRIUS XM. The issue seems to be unresolvable by either company, yet SIRIUS XM plays in the car. There is no SONOS in that house. I place the blame on SIRIUS, but I have no proof.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have the same problem. Sirius plays perfectly in the app on my phone, in my car, and streaming on my LG tv. On my Sonos, blocks of channels do not appear. For example, while channels 2 thru 29 are unavailable, channels 70 thru 79 are available. 

This is clearly a Sonos problem. Either they got a bad file from Sirius, or have a corrupt file on their server, or whatever, they should be able to figure it out. This isn't rocket science. 

This is clearly a Sirius problem. As soon as you click on that Sirius icon in the Sonos app, everything you see (or don’t see) is delivered (or not delivered) from the Sirius SMAPI server. If I still had a valid subscription I’d show you the XML and the url that it comes from.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am experiencing the same issue. Channel 1 works but 2-31 (p.s. this includes Phish Radio!!!!) are blacked out. Some engineer really needs to fix this bug asap. Sirius App and in Car work perfectly. Problem is isolated to my Sonos App. See attached screenshots. 
Ariel

I have the same issue with the Sirius channels being greyed out in my Sonos app.  I contacted Sonos support via live chat and chatted with Sonos Rep, Mark Vincent.  He had me send a diagnostics report from Sonos Settings.  Also, he had me uninstall and reinstall the Sonos app, remove Sirius within the Sonos app and reinstall it but still had the same greyed out channels.  He later advised that this is a known issue and it is being handled by their Sonos Software Development team.  Existing Case#: *.  I was told to try checking the Sirius channels again on Monday within the Sonos app and if the problem still exists to contact Sonos at 800-680-2345.

Moderator edit: removed case number for privacy reasons.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have the same issue with the Sirius channels being greyed out in my Sonos app.  I contacted Sonos support via live chat and chatted with Sonos Rep, Mark Vincent.  He had me send a diagnostics report from Sonos Settings.  Also, he had me uninstall and reinstall the Sonos app, remove Sirius within the Sonos app and reinstall it but still had the same greyed out channels.  He later advised that this is a known issue and it is being handled by their Sonos Software Development team.  Existing Case#: *.  I was told to try checking the Sirius channels again on Monday within the Sonos app and if the problem still exists to contact Sonos at 800-680-2345.

Moderator edit: removed case number for privacy reasons.

Why did he go through the hassle of removing and reinstalling the Sirius credentials when this is such a well known issue? Oh well, at least you have a case #.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Would love to know the Case #
This is really absurd and a huge waste of customer time and support resources. Why doesn’t Sonos recognize the glitch and reduce all of our doomed to fail efforts. Pure example of IT people who either think they are above everyone else (when they are not) or too afraid to acknowledge mistakes (when they should). Ultimately a managerial process failure. Get it together Sonos!!

Same issue here— going on 3 weeks now. Completely unacceptable. Surely Sonos has a contact at Sirius who can help them figure this out?  I will call support again tomorrow.  

Same issue. Same frustration! 

Just off the phone with support.. they had me remove the Sirius connection from Sonos, delete the Sonos app from my iPhone, reinstall the app, then reconnect Sirius in the app. It worked for me.

David 

TODAY’S UPDATE:  Again, removed Sirius app from Sonos, deleted the Sonos app from my iPhone, reinstalled the app, then reconnected Sirius in the Sonos app. It did NOT work for me. Still having same issue with greyed out channels so as directed by the Sonos Tech on Saturday, I called Sonos at 800-680-2345 and spoke to Carl.  He advised that this known issue is still being investigated by Sonos and currently they do not have a timeframe for a resolution and to use Airplay in the meantime as a workaround.  Also, he said any updates on this issue will be submitted to Sonos customers via the email associated with their Sonos account.

This is an issue for me as well. I'm using Sonos through my home Crestron system, so it's really painful.