Answered

Simplify music library, playlist, My Cloud, Apple Carplay

• 4 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

All I have ever wanted to do was get our 3000 uploaded and downloaded songs out of ITunes and in a format where my wife could simply create a playlist and play it on one app. I bought Sonos to do that. Sonos has some great qualities but it is only a controller. I bought My Cloud by Western Digital which got my music out of iTunes but, lacks some things to make smooth transition. I bought Sonos Roam for on vacation playing and couldn’t access Sonos playlist. We bought a new car with Apple Car Play, can’t access playlist because Sonos doesn’t interact with it. She really hasn’t made the switch to just streaming she wants to be able to use our existing library plus add a few downloads here and there. Anybody else having these issues or found solutions?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 May 2023, 11:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Luckydog22 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If your wife expects to be able to play a particular playlist regardless of where she happens to be, I think AirPlay is probably the best option. With a little adjustment, however, other options are available.

With your mention of iTunes and Apple Car Play, I presume you have iPhones? If so, you can AirPlay directly from your iPhone to compatible Sonos speakers, and you can presumably do the same with the car. You would just need to store the music on the iPhone to achieve this.

Regarding the Roam, I don’t quite understand - as long as it has an internet connection, it should be able to play anything it was able to play at your home (excepting Music Library). As long as it is on WiFi, it can play AirPlay, and it would even be able to read your WD My Cloud drive if you were to add the My Cloud music service to Sonos (a workaround for Music Library being unavailable when not on your home WiFi). If the Roam does not have an internet connection, however, you would need to Bluetooth to it instead.

I hope this helps.