Skip to main content
Question

Should I throw my 15 Sonos speakers in the trash now?

• 18 May 2024
  • 9 replies

I can’t believe this app “upgrade”. In fact, it’s a downgrade, and it’s full of bugs and renders speakers unusable multiple times. I was a huge Sonos fan, I bought the SONO stock and still own a lot. I have more than 15 speakers in 3 locations. I thought Apple did not have any chance with the Homepod, but now it seems Sonos shot itself in the foot. What is great hardware worth if you can’t use it?   Do the devs or managers at Sonos use their own speakers?  

It’s a nightmare, it’s not just a question of adding songs to the queue. It’s the whole experience that is trash, full of bugs, errors saying it can’t connect to speakers and more. 😭

So sorry for SONOS, I used to love the company so much!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Totally agree - the latest app has rendered my system almost useless. I have loved Sonos for about 15 years with about 10 products but the latest app has stopped me listening to music. So frustrating so annoying - won’t start or play then won’t stop - if Sonos doesn’t sort it out it will loose so many customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Totally agree - the latest app has rendered my system almost useless. I have loved Sonos for about 15 years with about 10 products but the latest app has stopped me listening to music. So frustrating so annoying - won’t start or play then won’t stop - if Sonos doesn’t sort it out it will loose so many customers. 

When did you last update your app and the system firmware?

Same here! I have a Sonos in every room of my house. Since the infamous update the entire system has been mostly useless. Each “fix” just breaks other features. It’s truly mind-boggling that these updates are passing QA to get pushed! 

The latest issues for me that started last week after updating is all devices constantly disconnecting. In the middle of listening it just completely stops playing and looking in the app it just says “No Music Queue is empty” and I have to select a source again, which takes forever because of errors and timeouts in the app. 

That ‘disconnect’ issue certainly suggests a local network problem.

Try unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to finish its reboot, then plug back in your Sonos devices. Give them a couple of minutes to reboot and reconnect before testing. 

I have done the router reboot/unplug all devices steps more times than I can remember in the past month. I have a direct cabled connection from one of my Play 5’s in my system to my router to try and create a more stable connection, but that hasn’t changed anything. I work from home and have very fast reliable internet connection that two of us use to take zoom calls etc., so I don’t think it’s the internet service or equipment in and of itself. 

I’ve only been experiencing this specific issue since running the update that fixed a different issue we were having. 

If anyone has any suggestions other than the typical disconnect and reboot troubleshooting from Sonos support I’m all ears! 

Describe your network. Which model router are you using? Do you have any WiFi mesh access points? SONOS is using the network differently than prior. It’s possible that the router defaults or current configuration are no longer appropriate. Don’t Factory Reset any SONOS components without further consult.

When we first purchased all of the Sonos Speakers approximately 2018 ish - 2019 ish- the App was great then - very simple and easy to use-

Every update since our purchase has only made it all more and more difficult to use every time- this last one definitely takes the cake!!!

Absolutely horrible - same as the Other’s - almost unusable - our most recent purchase of the MOVE Speaker - this APP basically made it disappear - and will not show up to Add - no matter what you do-

Shocking! that Sonos is not even attempting to fix ALL of the problems- and they need to FIRE all involved in creating these bombastic updates to the App-

Describe your network. Which model router are you using? Do you have any WiFi mesh access points? SONOS is using the network differently than prior. It’s possible that the router defaults or current configuration are no longer appropriate. Don’t Factory Reset any SONOS components without further consult.

I have one of my Sonos’s hard-wired to the tp-link router (AC 1750)

No WiFi mesh access points