Answered

Scheduled music index not working

• 16 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I”m running S2 Sonos, I have it installed on my MacBook Pro (2021) and have about 7 Zones defined.

My Music index scheduled for 2AM every morning hasn’t been working for years, just now decided to put in a the issue here to see if there are any suggestion.  It is running of a Drobo NAS which has been for years, but I can say for the past 3 years or so my music indexing schedule is not working.  If I run it manually it works fine.

At this point the only issue I have is having a scheduled index running.  I leave the desktop applicaition running and still does not run, of course the only way I can see this is I have a playlist I auto populate with any 5 stars ratings, this is update almost on a daily basis(adding/removing) but when I try and play the  playlist (usually once every 2-3 weeks) it always has songs which I know are not in the current playlist but yet they still show up in Sonos imported playlist.

Any suggestions on how to fix the schedule indexing?

thanks.

Mario.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 September 2022, 22:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

@mlopez12,
You mention you check your library index by referring to a regularly changing playlist, which I guess is pointing to tracks stored on your NAS. Is that a Sonos playlist, or a playlist that is actually within your library on your NAS box? If it’s the latter, what type of playlist is it? One that is stored within an *.xml file or is it an *.m3u playlist etc; and how are you updating it exactly? Do you regularly remove tracks from your NAS, or not?

You mention the manual library indexing works in the Sonos App, but a scheduled index doesn’t work. Have you seen it fail with an error message, or do you just think it’s failing because of the playlist update/changes?

It would help if you can explain more about the playlist and it’s content/source and the type of playlist you are using. I think it would also help if you reschedule the App indexing to a time when you can observe it running and perhaps see what error messages (if any) show up in the Sonos App.

Userlevel 2

The playlist is a smart playlist within iTunes.  It is an “imported playlist” within Sonos, along with all other playlists within my iTunes library.  

I mentioned index works manually because I fear the issue is related to the scheduling portion and not the indexing action itself. 

There is no error message, they way I can tell is if my iTunes library for that particular list shows 10 songs and I delete 1, the next day (after the index runs at 2AM as it is scheduled to run) it still shows 10 songs.  Same if I was to add a song, the next day the new song added does not show up in the import

I would perhaps first change the schedule to start at a time when you can monitor what is happening and to see if it is actually running, or not, if it fails to work correctly then as soon as practicable and within 20 minutes of the issue occurring, submit a Sonos diagnostic report from the ‘Settings/Support’ area of the Sonos App. Make a note of the reference generated, and when practicable, contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff about the matter via this LINK and see what they can suggest to resolve the matter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just a little addition to make you understand the Sonos system more. The fact the music index does not “even when the desktop application is left running” is because the app (like the phone app) is just a remote to the system. The system does the work, like indexing.