Skip to main content

I have a Sonos system with a Western Digital NAS, and in the spring I upgraded Sonos to S2.
From the S2 app, I can see my NAS and select albums, songs, etc. I can also search ("classic search") and get results from both Spotify, TuneIn, etc. - incl. my NAS's "music library".
But when I select "try the new search" - I get no results from my NAS.
Others who have experienced the same?
Is there a solution, or is it a "feature" - where Sonos "forgets" that there are also NAS users among their customers?
(playback from the NAS is no problem, so I don't think it's a "protocol problem")
Regards
Martin Frøland

It seems Sonos haven’t included the local library search ‘by design’ - my own personal thoughts are that the Sonos developers may have other plans in this area, perhaps🤔, but as many community users know, Sonos very rarely announce their development roadmap in advance.

My own workaround method has been to use Plex to index/share my local library, as that service is available in the new Sonos search, otherwise you will have to just switch back to the (still available) ‘classic search’ instead.

“all” searching is initiated, for some reason, by Sonos servers (who then hit the music services), not the apps, and Sonos servers cannot reach back to the local music index. So the current design makes local search technically impossible.

So they could “fake” the all search by implementing it locally (in the speakers), instead of passing the “all” search command to their server. This is fine as local library search works somewhat differently to SMAPI search anyway, though it has the similar concept of categories. Additional work would be necessary to update the search history (which is stored in the cloud).

You can read how it works here: https://devdocs.sonos.com/docs/add-search page down to “all search category”.

otherwise you will have to just switch back to the (still available) ‘classic search’ instead.

This is a really annoying omission, and switching back to ‘classic search’ doesn’t fix it for me (Android). Using the Windows interface does allow you to search specifically within the local music library though.

I agree it would be nice and kind of expected from Sonos to include the search results from the  NAS music library. Especially when it works already under Windows!!!
@Sonos : When will you have this long term overdue feature available on iOS and Android?

Clearly Sonos haven’t included the local library search ‘by design’ in Sonos 2. Once again Sonos downgrades functionality that nullifies in this case my NAS music library investement when moving to Sonos 2.  Sonos really dumb’s down functionality in search of profits.

yes, disappointed in SONOS that I can’t search for music on my NAS drive.  I upgraded speakers so I could continue to use my NAS drive and all the music I’ve accumulated.  Will be returning my new SONOS equipment.

yes, disappointed in SONOS that I can’t search for music on my NAS drive.  I upgraded speakers so I could continue to use my NAS drive and all the music I’ve accumulated.  Will be returning my new SONOS equipment.

The solution is quite simple: don't use the new search option. Just use the old one and you'll be fine.

what do you mean the old one?  s1? please clarify.  also, I don’t know what references to “classic search” mean on some of the replies either.  thanks

what do you mean the old one?  s1? please clarify.  also, I don’t know what references to “classic search” mean on some of the replies either.  thanks

Do not use the new search, but use the classic one instead. The classic one still accesses the NAS in your system.

You can easily switch to the old search by clicking on "Switch to Classic Search" from the search screen.