S2 Controller Desktop app doesnt show song property? Is it in the works for upcoming release?

S2 PC/Desktop cotroller doesn’t show the music qality like Ultra/HD or Dolby Atmos tag on Now Playing artwork. It has very limited info like the Song/Album artwork, song, artist and album info. It would be nice to know if the song is in DolbyAtmos or standard/HD format on the Desktop app itself. It shows all the info on the mobile app just fine. So wanted to find out if I am missing someting or this is something in the works for upcoming S2 PC app release roadmap?

Missing HD/Dolby Atmos tag on Now Playing - S2 Desktop app

Current system config

SONOS Controller for PC
Ver: 16.1
Sonos OS: S2
Build: 78151030

Thanks.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

The PC app has been in maintenance mode for several years now and functional improvements are very unlikely.

Very frustrating for those who use the PC app regularly.

This makes one more frustrated PC app users :(

I have just started using this PC app and thought I must have missed someting or Win-11 update must have broke someting but now I am not surprised at all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The PC app has been in maintenance mode for several years now and functional improvements are very unlikely.

My Windows app shows this info, plus the bitrate, see my profile.

This is interesting. My app UI looks anything but this, very lacklustre! I am running the latest Windows app on Win-11. I have tried apple music and Amazon Ultimate services and none shows any file details like bitrate/Atmos. Wondering what would the variance be? I am just getting started the PC app after getting an Era300 as it is connected to my work desk, easier to control that way rather than taking the phone out every time.

I also prefer the desktop controller. Unfortunately, we are a minority and, I suspect we will be abandoned at some point. The masses seem to prefer phone/pad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is interesting. My app UI looks anything but this, very lacklustre! I am running the latest Windows app on Win-11. I have tried apple music and Amazon Ultimate services and none shows any file details like bitrate/Atmos. Wondering what would the variance be? I am just getting started the PC app after getting an Era300 as it is connected to my work desk, easier to control that way rather than taking the phone out every time

I said MY app, not Sonos’ app :-). You can find in the Microsoft Store, search for my username.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The phone App too is so far behind most/all other similar Apps, it's unreal..  It's often not clear what will happen next when you press a particular button (pressing back being one in particular - will it take me back a screen or close the App completely?….) and managing queues can be so needlessly tiresome and difficult. That you still can't select multiple items to add, move, remove etc. in 2024 is incredible but has been asked for soooooooooo many times.

Point being, although the PC app has been pretty much ignored for years, functionality and usability-wise, so has the mobile app too - and it still can't do some of the things that can be done in the PC App.  There's not too much you can do in the S2 App that you can't in the old S1 App, despite it promising so much potential at launch - some years back now…

I said MY app, not Sonos’ app :-). You can find in the Microsoft Store, search for my username.

Oh, I see now… Didn’t catch your subtle drift there😊

No wonder I was trying all possible settings on the sonos app to match that look or lack of it, haha.

Nice work there I must admit. I am very happy to get those track details that shows Atmos or non-Atmos tracks for my Era300 set. Being trialling your app today and I am sold. I have a few features request if that is okay –

• A mini player/compact view would be highly appreciated where it will show the current track details and previous, play/pause and next function along with vol control.
  • If the track time/remaining time can be shown on the player view.
  • Track drag-bar (for going back or forward on the current track) can be easily or directly accessed from the progress bar shown.

These will be golden and would beat Sonos native app hands down. Keep up the solid work. 

Point being, although the PC app has been pretty much ignored for years, functionality and usability-wise

Seriously, being a smart speaker manufacturer, software is the integral part of the product line. Keep on releasing new hardware line will take them nowhere without lifting the software game. They can’t afford to ignore the software/applications that runs it. Look at Tesla for example - their smart application/software precedes their hardware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh, I see now… Didn’t catch your subtle drift there😊

No wonder I was trying all possible settings on the sonos app to match that look or lack of it, haha.

Nice work there I must admit. I am very happy to get those track details that shows Atmos or non-Atmos tracks for my Era300 set. Being trialling your app today and I am sold. I have a few features request if that is okay –

• A mini player/compact view would be highly appreciated where it will show the current track details and previous, play/pause and next function along with vol control.
  • If the track time/remaining time can be shown on the player view.
  • Track drag-bar (for going back or forward on the current track) can be easily or directly accessed from the progress bar shown.

These will be golden and would beat Sonos native app hands down. Keep up the solid work. 

If you click on the progress bar it will then show the times and allow you to drag to a particular time. I decided to keep the default view “clean” and hide the times by default, but only show them when someone was considering scrubbing the track.

If you hover over the icon in the TaskBar you will get the Windows mini-player view which includes basic transport controls. Also if you have physical media keys they will work for prev/next/play/pause even when the app does not have the focus.