Answered

Running S1 can't connecto to IDAGIO sreaming service

Badge

I am a IDAGIO subscriber, trying to access IDAGIO via Sonos S1. On my Android phone, I cannot use the “Add Services” function at all. When I click there, instead of getting the menu of services a get a blank screen with 4 dots in the middle going around in a circle, a waiting icon. Never stops waiting. On my PC, I can get to the service menu. I click IDAGIO and then a button to authorize Sonos to use IDAGIO. Up comes an IDAGIO log-in screen. I type my e-mail and password. Very briefly, it flashes “welcome back to IDAGIO” but then that disappears and goes blank. Frozen on a blank webpage, idadio-sonos. Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions?

icon

Best answer by controlav 11 June 2023, 16:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

I have not experienced the issue mentioned, but just to try to assist here, does your android controller device meet the S1 App requirements stated in this Sonos support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Badge

Thank you for offering to help. YES, it meets those requirements. In fact, I am already using two other services on Sonos.

Is there any mobile security perhaps getting in the way of the connection, such as VPN client or Firewall?

Have you tried using a different DNS server in the router settings or have you considered an ‘App Reset’ from ‘Settings/App Preferences’? (If resetting the App, ensure you connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system on the local WiFi network subnet).

Badge

Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice. It is, however, to technical for me. Can you advise in a more elementary way what I should try?

Badge

OK, sorry, The App Reset idea was self-explanatory, and I tried it. No success - problem is still there. (Earlier, I uninstalled S1 and installed it again, still same problem) I’m connected to my home Sonos system, but can’t get to the Add Services menu. What I don’t understand is what it would meen to use a different DNS server. Thank you.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice. It is, however, too technical for me. Can you advise in a more elementary way what I should try?

I assume you’re referring to the Sonos App reset - if so, see this Sonos Support link: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-the-sonos-app

Post reset - open  the App and accept T&C’s etc; and choose or allow the App to connect back to the existing Sonos system… then try adding the service again. If still no joy, then try a reboot of your local network router and your Sonos speakers. 

I would leave switching the routers DNS for now, particularly if you’re not sure how to change that on your router.

DNS (Domain Name Server) involves converting a hostname (such as www.example.com) into a computer-friendly IP address (such as 192.168.1.1). An IP address is given to each device on the Internet, and that address is necessary to find the appropriate Internet device/service… my thoughts are your speakers maybe having difficulty resolving the Sonos servers to get the IDAGIO service installed, so I was suggesting to try a different DNS in your router settings, rather than using your ISP DNS by default. Here are three servers you could perhaps try…

Google Public DNS Servers which are 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Cloudflare Public DNS Server 1.1.1.1

I would also try a reboot of your local router and speakers. 

Badge

Again, I really appreciate your helpfulness here. I don’t have Sonos speakers; rather, I have 2 Sonos Connect devices; each one is connected to an amplifier in a different room; one of them is also linked by ethernet cable to my router. They work fine with the two streaming services I’ve tried so far, namely Amazon and Spotify, and they also play music fine from my hard drive, and they share the signal across the two rooms fine too - all the things I expect Sonos to do. The problem now is (1) the Android can’t connect to the add service menu at all and (2) the PC can get the menu, and brings up IDAGIO, but once I authenticate on the screen that pops up, the screen goes blank and I freeze. As very non-technical person, I’m reluctant to change things on my router - my whole family uses our wifi system at home, and everything is working fine.

That said, if I interpret what you’re saying as applying to Sonos Connect, rather than Sonos speakers, it would suggest that Sonos Connect isn’t resolving the servers. Does this make sense given that it works fine with other streaming services?

Again, I really appreciate your helpfulness here. I don’t have Sonos speakers; rather, I have 2 Sonos Connect devices; each one is connected to an amplifier in a different room; one of them is also linked by ethernet cable to my router. They work fine with the two streaming services I’ve tried so far, namely Amazon and Spotify, and they also play music fine from my hard drive, and they share the signal across the two rooms fine too - all the things I expect Sonos to do. The problem now is (1) the Android can’t connect to the add service menu at all and (2) the PC can get the menu, and brings up IDAGIO, but once I authenticate on the screen that pops up, the screen goes blank and I freeze. As very non-technical person, I’m reluctant to change things on my router - my whole family uses our wifi system at home, and everything is working fine.

That said, if I interpret what you’re saying as applying to Sonos Connect, rather than Sonos speakers, it would suggest that Sonos Connect isn’t resolving the servers. Does this make sense given that it works fine with other streaming services?

That’s okay, maybe just try a reboot of the router and the two Connects and see if that then fixes it for you. If no joy, it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.

I will just add that the IDAGIO service is showing as being okay on the Sonos Services Status Page here: https://status.sonos.com

I did check that, but maybe also keep an eye out on its status in case the service changes and shows an outage, but at the moment everything seems to be okay.

Badge

Thank you, you are very kind. Going down the tree of things to try, I’m now at the step of sending diagnostics to Sonos, as you suggest above. Once I connect with them I’ll get back to you, with luck to let you know the details of the success, otherwise, well, who knows?

Meanwhile, backing up a moment: I had signed up for a trial on Idagio, because it is one of relatively few services which (a) has meta-data and search functions appropriate for classical, with a large classical inventory and (b) supports CD-quality lossless encoding (FLAC). I am a classical music lover, and for my ears and audio equipment, CD FLAC is the sweet spot. Earlier, Sonos and Idagio both confirmed to me that I can get that quality via Idagio and my Sonos Connect running S1. Trouble is, as you know, I can’t marry Sonos to my Idagio account. There is a second service, Qobuz, that according to reviews does have roughly advantages, for my purposes, to Idagio. So I just created a trial account on Qobuz, and - lo! - via the PC (Android still can’t access the add services function) I added it to Sonos and it works fine, sounds beautiful. So I have a success. I’d marginally prefer to use Idagio over Qobuz, which is why I tried Idagio first, but if I can’t get Idagio going, it’s good to know there’s an alternative.

All the best, I’ll be in touch again. 

Just as another thought, do you have the IDAGIO app installed on your android controller device and logged into your account, as I think it may use their App to authorise the login for the in-built Sonos service?

Badge

A good thought. I tried it, not trouble getting IDAGIO going on the Android, but no luck with Sonos. Same problem all the time. Curious that Qobuz worked the first time out, and IDAGIO is having such trouble. I hope to speak to the Sonos support Monday, with the diagnostic info in hand, and we’ll see what that yields. Thanks again, and all the best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The mobile S1 apps are broken right now, so using the PC app was the right choice. However there is clearly a different problem with IDAGIO, it is possible that it is S2 only (there are a few services in this category these days), suggest checking that with them.

Badge

Thank you. Sonos and IDAGIO both told me earlier that S1 would work. IDAGIO also comes up on the menu when I run S1 on my computer, getting all the way to the authentication menu - would that happen if it’s not supported?

You have a Sonos app for Windows? What does it do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thank you. Sonos and IDAGIO both told me earlier that S1 would work. IDAGIO also comes up on the menu when I run S1 on my computer, getting all the way to the authentication menu - would that happen if it’s not supported?

It will still show in the list, BBC Sounds showed despite not working on S1 any more when I last tried.

You have a Sonos app for Windows? What does it do?

Check out the Windows Store page for it or its Facebook page. I’m not allowed to post links.

Windows Sonos App is available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can confirm that Idagio authorization in both S1 and S2 apps is broken. Suggest you contact Idagio and get them to investigate. The link/token exchange process is broken near the end.

(USA, PC, Firefox browser, S1 and S2 apps)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As a work-around the Idagio app on iOS can stream directly to Sonos devices over your local network.

Badge

Thank you for this helpful investigation and the workaround idea. I have reached out to IDAGIO and hope to have a resolution that way. I live in the Android/PC world. Is there are corresponding workaround with IDAGIO and Sonos that way, or to I need Apple to achieve that?

Badge

UPDATE: Your workaround idea was a big success! I found a little icon on the bottom right of my PC IDAGIO app (for those out there who want to try this too) and it gives me a choice of where to output the IDAGIO stream, including my Sonos devices. That works. Once it’s directed to one Sonos device, I can control it from the Sonos app (for example, grouping the output, etc), so this really is a pretty good workaround. Especially if I can find a similar button on my Android phone. I imagine at some point IDAGIO will fix the broken connection and I won’t need the workaround any more. (I will report) So now I’m simultaneously trialing IDAGIO and Qobuz - will see which suits my needs best. Many thanks to you and to Ken Griffiths for your thoughtful comments.

While I’m here, may I bring up another challenge? I’ve never had trouble with Sonos playing material from my home network (stored FLAC files). However, on Qobuz yeterday there were two brief drop-outs. On IDAGIO today there was a brief incursion of (very low-level) static. I paused the music and the static was still there. I turned IDAGIO off and on again, no more static. Any thoughts as to what may be causing these two problems? I have a fiber optic internet service and connect it to Sonos via an ethernet cable from my router. The past reliability of this setup with home sources suggests to me that the problems are upstream of the Sonos device. I’m receiving Qobuz and IDAGIO in FLAC, which takes way, way less bandwidth than my wifi systm has. A puzzle.

While I’m here, may I bring up another challenge? I’ve never had trouble with Sonos playing material from my home network (stored FLAC files). However, on Qobuz yeterday there were two brief drop-outs. On IDAGIO today there was a brief incursion of (very low-level) static. I paused the music and the static was still there. I turned IDAGIO off and on again, no more static. Any thoughts as to what may be causing these two problems? I have a fiber optic internet service and connect it to Sonos via an ethernet cable from my router. The past reliability of this setup with home sources suggests to me that the problems are upstream of the Sonos device. I’m receiving Qobuz and IDAGIO in FLAC, which takes way, way less bandwidth than my wifi systm has. A puzzle.

Possibly just some WiFi interference - maybe try a different non-overlapping router channel (1, 6 or 11) - use a 20Mhz channel-width only for the routers 2.4Ghz band …and as you are using ‘wired-mode’ SonosNet, also set its channel in the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel - oh and keep the wired Sonos device at least one metre away from the router/Access point. Hope that sorts it for you.

Badge

Will try these ideas on wireless interference, thank you. Meanwhile, I promised an update on the IDAGIO story. IDAGIO got back to me, very courteously, acknowledged the problem on their end and said they fixed. So they did - mostly. I can now authenticate IDAGIO from Sonos and play IDAGIO music there. I said only “mostly,” however, because I still cannot access IDAGIO search from Sonos. Sonos will search Qobuz for me, but it won’t give me IDAGIO as a search option. So I have to go onto the IDAGIO app, search there and add the result to my IDAGIO favorites collection, and find it on Sonos via the browse favorite function. That works, as does the workaround (discussed above) of playing the album from the IDAGIO app. So this bug is not a big deal, though it would be good to have everything working as it should. I’ll see what IDAGIO says.Meanwhile, in practice I am now trialing both IDAGIO and Qobuz. The big thing for me now is cleaning up the signal.

Sonos passes search data to the respective services, then displays what they receive back. You may want to ping Qobuz about the fact they’re not providing IDAGIO as a search parameter to the Sonos controller. 

Badge

Thank you. IDAGIO replied to my query by saying this cannot be done, the IDAGIO search function is different enough from Sonos that you can’t search IDAGIO from Sonos, even though you can search other streaming services from Sonos. However, the workarounds aren’t that hard. In short, this isn’t a bug, just a built-in functionality limit. I feel I’ve now done what’s possible to bring Sonos and IDAGIO together, so I’ll see how I find things in the one-month trial. Many thanks to everyone for support with this - I’m a newbie to streaming.