Skip to main content

Rollback the app, please

• 16 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I literally can’t use my Sonos system now without drops and stutters. I see several convos talking about this, asking for a rollback. Seems to be some advice on how to do it manually, but others saying it won’t work.

If anyone has managed to do it, please post here?

4 replies

Dropouts, and stuttering to the audio is not caused by the app.   If you’re using older devices (your profile shows play:1s and play:3s) these devices struggle with the S2 firmware (which is distinct from the mobile app).  Some people experience fewer issues by running S1firmware.   For my part I have accepted that these older devices have reached the end of their life.  You may want to see if you have a trade-up offer to newer devices on your account. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks. I see you point, but I refuse to accept that the answer is “buy new stuff from the same company that just hosed everyone.” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I literally can’t use my Sonos system now without drops and stutters. I see several convos talking about this, asking for a rollback. Seems to be some advice on how to do it manually, but others saying it won’t work.

Hi @Tom N. installing the “April 2024” v16.1 Android app is straightforward …

• Delete the Sonos S2 app from your device (this step is required)
  • Visit the APKMirror website and search for “Sonos S2”
  • Download and archive the v16.1 version to your device
  • Install the .apk file
  • Turn off automatic updates in Google Play and the Sonos App

… while possible on iOS it is much more nuanced, search for the process elsewhere on these forums.

Using the v16.1 app, even with the latest firmware, will give you a stable and full-featured “April 2024” user experience with your Sonos devices regardless of their age. No need for an S1 downgrade.

Using the v16.1 app, even with the latest firmware, will give you a stable and full-featured “April 2024” user experience with your Sonos devices regardless of their age. No need for an S1 downgrade.

Correct, it will give the “April 2024” experience, but the OPs post is premised on the fact the audio dropouts are caused by the new app, which is almost certainly not the case.  Audio glitching affecting some (though not all) of the older kit is well documented elsewhere, and Sonos’ own take on this is that these devices have limited and failing memory.