Skip to main content

I would like to request a new feature to be added to the Sonos S2 (NEW) App.  It would be very helpful if the “System Name” field was linked to the active Wi-Fi SSID in use.  For example it would be helpful if my system name automatically changed from “HOME SYSTEM” when logged in and active on Wi-Fi  “SSID1” and then changed to “COTTAGE SYSTEM” when logged in and active on Wi-Fi “SSID2”.  Thanks David Wilkinson

If I’m understanding you correctly, you have 2 Sonos systems at 2 separately locations, each with their own wifi SSID.  You want the app to know that when connected to SSID1, look for system ‘Home System’.  When connected to SSID2, look for ‘Cottage System’? I don’t have 2 systems to connect, but I believe that the app will currently look for the system you last connected to, regardless of SSID, so I see where it’s a benefit.

If you are using portables though, you would connect to the same system regardless of the SSID.  Probably not an issue  as you probably only use portables in the 2nd location, or you setup both locations under the same Sonos system.  

I take 2 Moves and 1 ROAM that connect to both systems using my single Sonos account. I also have a set of 8 wired speakers that I keep in storage most of the year and then take them to the cottage for our vacation period.

Yes it would be nice if the speakers, mostly Move & Roam, acted like a phone where once a network is logged into it is stored in memory.  So when you are in one of the memorized WiFi environments the speaker would automatically switch to that network just like a phone does.

It is my understanding that a Sonos speaker has the ability to “Remember” up to 16 different  Wi-Fi SSID’s.  The first time a speaker is powered up in an environment with a new to it Wi-Fi SSID, you need to follow this procedure:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network.

I have successfully set up 2 MOVEs and 1 ROAM to “remember” 2  different Wi-Fi SSIDs successfully for our Home location and Cottage location.

Just wish, for at least the battery powered speakers, this network connection was automatic.

Hi @David Wilkinson Canada 

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!