Skip to main content

I don’t want to turn my TV on to play music.

I thought Sonos was the holy grail - the fancy sound bar that would work with my TV and also be available for Airplay.

The sound for TV is good. Don’t need subtitles nearly as much. The bass is sufficient for most things. The spacial quality and clarity do not disappoint. 

I’ve seen the other posts about airplay problems, and yes, if I reboot everything in the right sequence, remove and re-add the device, poke a doll with pins then my beam shows back up. I don’t have to turn on my TV to listen to music.

Just not exactly the “effortless” experience I was advertised.

I have other devices on the same WiFi, some LG, others Apple, others open source stuff running on a raspberry pi, and they all show up as Airplay targets. Which makes me think it’s not a general problem with my wifi configuration. It’s most likely a software bug on the Beam. 😞

Why do you need to turn on your TV to play music? Just use the app to play music on the Beam.

You might want to submit a diagnostic in the app when you are having the issue and then contact support with the number. Could be a network issue or something else wrong with your beam. 

IMO worth the wait when contacting them cause if you look at all the issues with the recent buggy af app there’s very few if any reported airplay issues. Actually it’s how many are coping with the buggy app tbh. 

> Why do you need to turn on your TV to play music? Just use the app to play music on the Beam.

I have to turn on the TV to AirPlay to it.

Yes the app is more reliable than AirPlay. But half the time the Sonos app says it cant find the device too and I have to go through setup again.

Is there a known issue with beam wifi and having both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks with the same ssid?

> Why do you need to turn on your TV to play music? Just use the app to play music on the Beam.

I have to turn on the TV to AirPlay to it.

Something isn’t right there. You DON’T need to turn the TV on to Airplay to a Sonos soundbar. Period. I just tried it, Airplaying from my iPhone to my Arc. TV is off.

Edit: I think you know something is wrong, don’t you - you’re after help. Sorry. 

Edit 2: Have you updated the Sonos app recently, and also run a Sonos System Update to update the speakers?

Yes the app is more reliable than AirPlay. But half the time the Sonos app says it cant find the device too and I have to go through setup again.

Is there a known issue with beam wifi and having both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks with the same ssid?

Do NOT go through setup to get your device back. Your device is fine, but the mobile app is unreliable.

There are other issues with some routers and 2.4 and 5GHz radios. The Beam only uses 2.4 to connect to your wifi, but if your phone is using 5GHz and your router isn’t working correctly then that would explain both problems: tell us about your router.

> tell us about your router.

It’s a Ubiquity Dream Router. I’ve got it set up with 2.4 and 5 ghz using the same ssid. And yes, likely my phone is on the 5 ghz band most of the time. I’d like to keep it that way as 5 ghz is faster… any configuration concepts / specifics that make this work well, or would I have to run them on different ssids and change my wifi to the 2.4 to get airplay?

> tell us about your router.

It’s a Ubiquity Dream Router. I’ve got it set up with 2.4 and 5 ghz using the same ssid. And yes, likely my phone is on the 5 ghz band most of the time. I’d like to keep it that way as 5 ghz is faster… any configuration concepts / specifics that make this work well, or would I have to run them on different ssids and change my wifi to the 2.4 to get airplay?

Why didn’t you say so earlier! https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

Hot damn a treasure trove! I will at least be able to ask a better question after going through these docs. Thanks @controlav!