Ready to give up on SONOS

• 15 April 2023
  • 8 replies

I’m so fed up with Sonos. I am literally furious that every time Sonos updates something, I have speakers that drop out of the system.

I cannot roll back my system to S1, when I start the S1 controller it tells me the problems, and what needs updating, then prompts me to download S2.

S2 fails to correct the problem, I just want at this point to return everything to its former working state without running through three floors and resetting everything.  Sonos seems to do this to me every six month or so.

I have purchased Sonos products as gifts for others, I’m not doing that anymore if this is what I saddle them with.

At this point I have nothing good to say about product support, I just want my old, not updated system back. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As a first step assign all your Sonos static/reserved IP addresses from your router’s DHCP settings page. Power down all Sonos, reboot router, power up Sonos.

That seems to solve the update issue for many folks, power failure recovery too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For rolling back you do need the S2 app…….

https://support.sonos.com/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Raxial 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

To roll back to S1, you need a device already on S1 to start with. If you have no devices on S1, you cannot roll your S2 devices back to it.

I hope this helps.

No, thank you, no.  I am completely done with Sonos.

Since 2014 I have purchased 10 different products from Sonos for myself.  I am done with updates, tech support, S1,S2.  I am litterally going to start recycling them as they age out and replace them with Bluetooth speakers.

I can see no advantage to using an App I dislike to control speakers which will require more maintenance than my cars.

I will never recommend Sonos to a friend again, I regret giving them as gifts several times to ususpecting people I love.

I just wanted to listen to music without wires.  You apparently cannot make that happen without repeatedly rendering my system inoperable.

Bye Sonos, have a nice life.

No, thank you, no.  I am completely done with Sonos.

Since 2014 I have purchased 10 different products from Sonos for myself.  I am done with updates, tech support, S1,S2.  I am litterally going to start recycling them as they age out and replace them with Bluetooth speakers.

I can see no advantage to using an App I dislike to control speakers which will require more maintenance than my cars.

I will never recommend Sonos to a friend again, I regret giving them as gifts several times to ususpecting people I love.

I just wanted to listen to music without wires.  You apparently cannot make that happen without repeatedly rendering my system inoperable.

Bye Sonos, have a nice life.

If you are willing to do a little work, I can walk you through a solution which out of the thousands of people I’ve helped in 15 years here, I can count on one hand the number who weren’t totally cured of the symptoms you list.  The fact you are experiencing speakers dropping right after updates is a big clue, for we have seen this symptom many times before, and the cause is well known.  I can understand your reasons if you choose to decline my offer, but it is tough to argue with the type of success rate I gave above.  

If my electric razor put me through this nonsense, I'd replace it.  If my oven, toaster or coffee maker did this, I'd replace it.

Why should I fiddle with a simple speaker to make it work as advertised?  I have a boost which is supposed to create its own network, which If true, would prevent issues like dual IP addresses, shouldn't it?

I'm very sour on Sonos, have two disconnected Play 1s so far, I'm more interested in taking them apart to recover the magnets than screwing with them yet again.

So be it.  Can't say I didn't try.  As to your IP addresses, no a Boost will do nothing to prevent duplicate IP addresses.  Regardless of your Sonos configuration, IP allocation is all done via DHCP on your router. 

But that's neither here nor there, for you seem to not want help.  I'll not offer again.  

BOOST still uses your router and your router is not setup correctly.