Skip to main content

After the horrendous recent update, which completely lost my local music library, I checked the Sonos update page (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates), and among the supposed (Allegedly)features available as of May 21 2024, it listed “

• Improved Local Music Library playback of folders

Considering that I couldn't access my library at all,  I wondered what possible improvement there was, so I had an online chat with tech support. They seemed as though they had never heard of anyone having this problem, which was amazing to me as it is all over the forums and on the Internet, so I'm not alone. I submitted diagnostics as requested, and their response was  that it was due to a "legacy share" support link, and referred me to this Apple link:

How to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS in macOS

Learn how to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS to prevent failover.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102050

The page also mentions "This article is intended for enterprise and education system administrators”

Is Sonos kidding? Now I am really confused, and this is a terrifying page for a civilian as I wouldn't even know how to begin to implement this, not being a tech professional and worried I might it advertently make problems on my Mac, not to mention I wasn't sure that it would actually work.  I was told I could make a phone appointment for a remote session, but I am not even sure what to make of this.

Has anyone else had any experience with this since the disastrous update? If so, have you had any success with getting your local music library back? While I do some streaming, I mainly use my local music library, so I have been practically apoplectic with rage at the Sonos bait and switch, essentially turning my Sonos products into streaming only speakers.

This worked for me: I opened the Windows desktop app (it forced an update to the latest version) and the NAS had disappeared from there too. I just re-added it*, and after it had been indexed, it reappeared in the app too. It only took a few minutes, most of which was the indexing and I didn’t need to alter any other settings anywhere. It seems to be working as before. Fingers crossed

*Manage > Music Library Settings > Add

The problem I am having is that it now loses the share every night when it does its scan of the library. I can add the share, it indexes the files, the library appears in the app, music plays.  Next morning the share is missing from the desktop app.  And the share cannot be added via the Android app at all now (confirmed with Sonos).  This is definitely not working as it should on Windows / Android...

Update - The share has now lasted 36 hours. The NAS has SMB1 fully deprecated (Min = SMB2), so that may have been the issue, not sure, but it was the only change I made.  For now the share is still in the Sonos app so that good, but the handling of this by Sonos has not been good.  Shouldn’t have to do this much digging!

Dear all, I am following this and other discussions since a couple of months and have tried out various pathways to re-access my Mac-music library. Nothing works and/or the suggestions are way too complex to sincerely follow-up upon. I also have invested substantially into Sonos equipment and find myself betrayed regarding the original product information and value proposition. I hence would like to raise the question whether it is not time for filing a collective law suite against Sonos requesting (a) a financial compensation for disrupting the services, and (b) a system update that re-establishes the original services.

Obviously, this Sonos Community site does not have many active participants. So a call for joining a legal case against Sonos might need to be launched on a variety of social platforms. 

I’d like to hear whether there is support and whether there is experience in such legal steps. With kind regards.

Good grief. 🙄

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/terms-of-use#legal-terms-use-2022-10-arbitration

Class arbitration and collective relief waiver. YOU AND SONOS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, EXCEPT AS SET OUT OTHERWISE IN THIS SECTION 13(c) AND SECTION 13(g) BELOW, ANY ARBITRATION SHALL BE CONDUCTED IN AN INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY ONLY AND NOT AS A CLASS OR OTHER CONSOLIDATED ACTION AND THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD RELIEF ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO RESOLVE AN INDIVIDUAL PARTY’S CLAIM, UNLESS SONOS PROVIDES ITS CONSENT TO CONSOLIDATE IN WRITING.

Lol, what sort of company puts that in their terms of use?

I have been happily using the old S2 app hoping that after a few weeks or a month or two sonos would have sorted out this mess. But it appears that nothing of the sort has happened, I have even seen posts that claim that updating firmware now even stops you being able to go back to S2.

Does anyone know if customers, some of who have invested a lot of money in their systems are being listened to anywhere?

a 1.1 star rating on Google playstore for the new app must be ringing some alarm bells.

Almost every software EULA in existence has some form of that clause.

Almost every software EULA in existence has some form of that clause.

Shows that I never read these things, 😀