Skip to main content
Answered

random muting on my system

My entire system mutes randomly and without touching any buttons, The voice Assistance not activated and that's not what appears to be causing it. Are there any solutions? I have updated my system. 

215 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @spcialk 

Glad to hear you’re not seeing it happen anymore!

Is anyone still seeing this random muting issue anymore? We’d like to hear from you if so (assuming you have updated, obviously). Otherwise, we will mark this ticket as resolved.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

We have several ONE SL speakers (Without voice assistant) and a FIVE. For the past few weeks, every night, our bedroom ONE Speaker mutes itself, and the green status light turns on, even though I have that bedroom speaker set to not have a status light on— or I thought I did… (?)

It seems like at least a couple of the other speakers are also muting overnight but they haven’t been as bothersome since they aren’t waking me up with a light in the middle of the night. (Still not ideal though since we have to raise the volume every time we start playing music again in those rooms) 

@Corry P I submitted diagnostics this morning if that helps! 

UPDATE: We haven’t had this issue in over a week. No more overnight muting going on-- thank you @Corry P and Sonos Tech Support folks for your quick response! I am sure this is a headache for all of you, too. Just want you to know we appreciate you! 😁

Before we all start hugging and patting each other on the backs!

There still seems to be a multitude of other issues as of 12/07/24 https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131 that appear unresolved with the new app?

Hardly a quick response methinks

Can confirm haven't had the random muting for over a week now. 

Are all functions working as per 16.1?

I can't really confirm that, I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user to be honest, sorry. 

I have had my Beam soundbar drop out once in the past few days while watching the footy, but it did not mute, just dropped and then came back about 10 seconds later. 

The app still tells me there are no devices on my network often. I close the app and reopen and then it seems to find them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was having this problem and it went away completely when I got rid of my ifttt subscription along with any Google home macros referencing sonos. Super annoying.

Badge

I haven’t had any muting for about a week now. Fingers crossed! 

EDIT:  I changed nothing. I’m on Android 80.04.05 - release date 2024/7/2. I don’t use IFTT. I do use Google assistant/home on SONOS devices, but I’ve made no change to routines/automations or anything like that. So it would appear to have ‘fixed itself’ 🙄

This has started to happen on my Sonos Era 100 speakers. Light goes green and no sound. Increasing the volume on the app makes no difference. Switching off and on at the mains does. Not good so far.

I think that the problem may be with the outage happening just now. When I connect to my system from my phone, it won’t play the track selected. I have to choose another which will play. 

We’ve also starting to get this issue. Happens with both connected devices as tv apps. Using the HDMI cable provided with the Arc. Had no issues since purchase in December 2021.

I’ve had no problems today. Rather than use Spotify directly from the app; I access it through the Sonos app; which is always connected to my system. 

Hello, I’ve started to have this issue with my Sonos beam the last week.

Its started muting randomly with no prompt. This has now developed to going quiet (as if I’ve asked Alexa to do something with green light briefly displaying) despite not speaking. Any help appreciated! 

Can we get an update on this issue?  When watching TV, my system mutes entirely on its own randomly.  I have a beam connected via ARC/HDMI cable, and two Sonos 1’s for surround.  It only seems to be getting worse - it is happening more frequently (or maybe I notice more and more).  The letter from the CEO discusses “fixing the app.”  I’m not using the “app.”  I’m using my speakers for a surround system when watching TV and they don’t work anymore.  Is the issue with the “app” that the CEO apologizes for the same issue that has made my speakers stop working?  Is this something I should expect Sonos to fix, or should I be doing more work on my own to fix something?  Is this issue going to be addressed when “Volume responsiveness” is “Improved” in the August and September timeframe?  Can someone tell me if “Improving volume responsiveness” means “fixing my speakers so they won’t randomly mute anymore?”

I went on Webchat last night as i had the same questions as yourself (I don’t use the app) and they confirmed that it’s a known issue and it’s for Sonos to fix.

The update from Sonos ceo is really poor as it makes it seem like just an app issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jpnort 

I do have an update - we now consider this issue to be resolved. We were not expecting to see new reports of this issue at all.

Please ensure both your Sonos system and your Sonos app are fully up-to-date, and if you still see this muting occur, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to report as much - if they are unable to resolve the issue, we may have to reopen the ticket for further investigation.

I hope this helps.

I can not understand this silly discussion. It is up to Sonos to fix this. What is it really about? Saving the planet? Give us the option to DO NOT MUTE: End of story. 

If not: explain why!

It's alot like the issue with the app randomly not being able to see the system which is still happening. I can see it, it's right in front of you! Surely Sonos know how to fix this problem by now??!! If not, then just roll the app back, build a seperate app for the headphones and let us all get on with our lives! Also stop sending insincere letters from the CEO, who cares, just fix our systems so that they work!